accustock troubles.

Firecat

I was hoping for some help. I have a buddy with a savage predator 6.5 x 284 with an accustock. His smith took it apart to put on a muzzle break. Since then it just isn't shooting quite the same. I've read where accustocks can be fussy when put back together. I've searched for the post but can't find it. Does anyone have experience with putting these guns back together? If so what sequence do you tighten the screws and to what torque. Thanks for you help. I figured I would start here.

Would you agree that changing the barrel harmonics with the addition of a muzzle brake has affected the accuracy...... What kind of ammo was he shooting , Factory loads or handloads ? He will just have to go back and tune the load for the muzzle brake . Assemble and Torque the screws with the barrel in the air to the proper torque. What kind of muzzle brake is it ?

Would you agree that changing the barrel harmonics with the addition of a muzzle brake has affected the accuracy.

That was my first thought until he mentioned that the load he was having trouble with was redeveloped after the break was added. I figured I would start eliminating the simplest things first.

Firecat

The method should work for that too. The torque required might vary some from the wood stock or wood stock and pillars. A little like tuning for seating depth and powder, the rifle will tell you what it likes best.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.