Accuracy Variable

ShortMag3

Has anyone every seen a negative effect on accuracy due to a poorly fitted muzzle brake? I'm not referring to bad enough that the bullet touches but enough out of concentricity or out of square to the barrel centerline that it could cause unequal pressure as it passes through?
Thanks

ShortMag3

Not on my own but I've known of 3 rifles that flat wouldn't shoot after having one installed.

First thing to keep in mind is that anything you add at the end of the barrel is going to change the harmonics of the barrel. Sometimes that tightens things up and sometimes it can have a really negative effect.

Take a bore sighting rod and insert it through the brake into the bbl.

If it's observably not centered that may well be your problem. If that is the case it needs a trip back to the gunsmith who installed it.

If it is centered, you may just need to experiment a bit to find a load it likes better with the new brake installed.

If that doesn't work that brake for whatever reason isn't working for you and you'll just need to try a different one or go without.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.