Accuracy Load for Kimber Subalpine 300 win mag?

Captainmorgan

Hey guys,

I'm looking to develop an accurate load for my kimber subalpine in 300 win mag to hunt deer with out to 400 yards.

My gun likes factory federal trophy copper in 180 gr. It usually shoots sub moa with this round but sometimes get flyers in a 3 shot group. I'm hoping to eliminate a potential miss!

I have 180 Barnes TTSX bullets and was wondering what powder to use.

Anyone have this gun and have success with something else?

Looking for a starting point....?

https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/300WinMagForWeb.pdf

Not a Kimber. So your barrel will be different. I have a load for the 175 LRX with RE22 that shoots about 3150 or so. The TTSX has more bearing surface I think so you'll have to play with it. It also likes a good bit of jump.

FWIW I tried some of the Hammer Hunters amd it was extremely easy development. Loaded to pressure at mag length, backed off a grain and Voila. That was some left over 152 HH I had from another rifle. I will be trying the 181 HH next for this one. They don't seem to be affected by the jump like Barnes or Cutting Edge. If it's a thin barrel (mine is a mag contour from Hart) it likes the lighter pills. Inside 500 yards lighter doesn't matter with the solids.

So I don't own a Kimber but I do own two .300 win mags. One a ruger with a 24" magnum sporter barrel and a browning x bolt with a 26" heavy sporter. The ruger likes 180 accubonds with H1000 and the Browning is shooting 181 hammer hunters with H1000. The ruger is a sub MOA gun the browning is a sub .5 MOA gun. I can highly recommend the hammers. Load development took less than 30 rounds which might be nice in a very light weight.300WM.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/300WinMagForWeb.pdf

Not a Kimber. So your barrel will be different. I have a load for the 175 LRX with RE22 that shoots about 3150 or so. The TTSX has more bearing surface I think so you'll have to play with it. It also likes a good bit of jump.

FWIW I tried some of the Hammer Hunters amd it was extremely easy development. Loaded to pressure at mag length, backed off a grain and Voila. That was some left over 152 HH I had from another rifle. I will be trying the 181 HH next for this one. They don't seem to be affected by the jump like Barnes or Cutting Edge. If it's a thin barrel (mine is a mag contour from Hart) it likes the lighter pills. Inside 500 yards lighter doesn't matter with the solids.

I never heard of hammer heads, so I looked at their site, seem pretty high quality.

Thanks!

I never heard of hammer heads, so I looked at their site, seem pretty high quality.

Thanks!

The hammer bullets may not be cheap but they just plain shoot. They are the most consistent bullet I've had my hands on. Nearly zero variation in weight or dimension. Just do a search on here and you'll find plenty of info on them. Owner Steve is on here as well goes by RockyMtnMT. He can give you all kinds of info and recommendations.

I have had great success with 4831SC shooting 180 TTSX out of my 300 mag. The moose in my avatar was taken with this load @ 420 yds. I had to play with the amount of powder to get this load tweaked, but I have shot this load out to 750 yds at the range and one kill shot at 680 yards on a spike/fork moose.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.