Load development for 300 Win Mag

mosh338

Hi

I have just started reloading and would like to get your thoughts on developing a load.

Since this is the first time I have reloaded I have started with a relatively "weak" load. Ive used a 180 grain nosler combined T with 69.3gn of S 385 powder which should give a velocity of 2700ft/s. Ive also found that the bullet hits the rifling at 3.5 inches and have loaded my rounds conservatively at a COL of 3.42 inches.

I would like to know whats the best way to increase the load and the COL without running into any problems.

what rifle, what are you shooting at? do you have any re-22 and do you have any 210 berger??

HI Ronin

I am using a Remington model 700 sps wood with 24 inch barrel. I think Ill be able to get my hands on 210 berger.

Mohsin

H1000, 208 amax or 210, 215 Berger. 20-40 thousandths from rifling or as long as will fit in your magazine. Start at 73g and work your way up. With Winchester or nosler brass. Brass capacities vary a lot in 300 win mag so adjust your load accordingly.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses.

I went to the range on Saturday with 20 Sierra match kings 175 gr loaded with 69.3 grains ( max is 73.5 gr) of Somchem S385 ( this is the only magnum powder available in South Africa).

The first 4 of my first ever batch hang fired ( a fraction of a second delay). The rest of the rounds seem to fire adequately but I couldnt shoot any good groups. The best I could do was 2inches at 200m.

Any ideas why the initial rounds would hang fire?? I was using Sellier and Bellot primers.

When I do load development I like to start with my bullets .010-.005 off the lands. For 2 reasons... first, more accurate loads are usually seated closer to the lands... second, if I want to experiment with seating depth, I am seating the bullet farther from the lands which should avoid pressure problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.