Accubonds on does

the blur

I used 6.5CM Accubonds on little does. Like medium thin skinned does. Poor choice of bullet. It just blows through the animal, like a pencil. Yes the deer is dead, but bonded bullets on deer is not the best choice. Next time a ballistic tip, or soft lead like coreloks.

I've had great success with the Hornady interlock and like bullets when taking lung shots. They were leaving very large holes on exit and blood trails. Most of my doe shooting is now done inside of 200 yards so I have transitioned back to neck base shots to cut down on meat damage and any bullet will work if you put it in the right place.

Short range you should not have any issues. Out further once the bullet goes below 2200 fps I see little expansion. But definitely a hammer inside 100 for me.
SnT

It's interesting. My 1st shot went just behind the lungs. The bullet just blew though without hitting a bone, or any vitals. The animal is just standing there, unable to move in total shock. Didn't fall, didn't flinch, nothing. Then a head shot to finish. But I examined the 1st shot area. Only hydraulic shock damage. No bullet expansion damage... like a pencil. I'll keep my accubonds for Elk..

I shot deer with bonded bullets for many in my 7mag.They do kill,they are tough when you hit a lot of bone,but a good cup and core bullet will usually open up a larger wound channel and give you a quicker kill.Since Ballistic Tips have been beefed up,I have become very fond of them.I think they also have a harder lead core than some of the other brands,which results in less wasted meat.

Put an Accubond through the upper portion of the shoulder and they will never take another step. I've been doing it this way for years. The meat loss is minimal as there is very little meat in this portion of the shoulder. I don't have to worry about tracking a deer down and I can sacrifice a pound or so of meat for a DRT kill

Last edited:
Certainly SST works beautifully on red deer in highlands of Scotland, including shooting calves (as part of culling program)..... opens reliably on chest shots and holds if need to use 1/4 angling, as well.

Something dont sound right... ive shot upwards of a dozen or so management doe mulies with the Accubonds and never had a lick of problems. Most impacts have been forward of where you describe but a few have been solid lung. Of those i recovered one bullet, just under the hide on the opposite shoulder perfectly mushroomed. Shots distances have varied, some nearly 600, but none under 200.

I tend to view the AB as a relatively soft bullet and expansion has never been a problem

For deer I have killed over 20 shooting 125gr nosler green tips out of a 20" barreled 308. The wounding under 200 yards is catastrophic. Using 44gr of imr4064 gets me 2950 fps. Close to 243win velocity. Great combo for whitetail and have killed a few hogs with it too

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.