Accubonds LR ....Accubonds and weight?

shooters

Use to always shooting 200g Accubonds out of the 300 Ultra and have had good success. Recently sold and now purchased another. Is there an advantage of one over the other in terminal performance, velocity down range, etc....? I realize there's a difference in BC's, but wondering if I should shoot a 190LR over a 210LR or stick with original 200g? Would like to purchase 7 or 8 boxes but don't want to make a 400-500 dollar mistake. Used for elk and big mike deer.

Use to always shooting 200g Accubonds out of the 300 Ultra and have had good success. Recently sold and now purchased another. Is there an advantage of one over the other in terminal performance, velocity down range, etc....? I realize there's a difference in BC's, but wondering if I should shoot a 190LR over a 210LR or stick with original 200g? Would like to purchase 7 or 8 boxes but don't want to make a 400-500 dollar mistake. Used for elk and big mike deer.
The ABLR has a higher ballistic coefficient and maintains velocity better so you get less drop.

Many of us here shot them and the general response was "Ho Hum". They just didn't perform as advertised and their BC's are highly inflated.

Give the Hornady ELDX 210 and 220's a ride and I suspect you'll find them to be superior or just keep shooting the regular accubond.

The ABLR has a higher ballistic coefficient and maintains velocity better so you get less drop.

Many of us here shot them and the general response was "Ho Hum". They just didn't perform as advertised and their BC's are highly inflated.

Give the Hornady ELDX 210 and 220's a ride and I suspect you'll find them to be superior or just keep shooting the regular accubond.

Thanks. I knew you would chime in. Appreciate the advice as always. Just ordered 3 boxes of ELD X last night. Gonna give them a try. Thanks!

I shot the 200 NABs for a long time out of my .300 WM. I have LRABs bullets have not shot any yet because Berger bullets are now my go to bullets.

.300 RUM and 215/230g Berger is a perfect match for LRH and big game. While the new Hornady ELD-X looks promising (I have the 220g to try), there's just not enough real world successes ... yet, I'm sure in due time it will shine.

Meantime, Berger 215/230 has proven itself exceptionally well and is hard to beat. Do a query on Jeff's (BROZ) post about the Berger 215/230 and .300 Win Mag and you'll see why.

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Cheers!

Ed

I shot the 200 NABs for a long time out of my .300 WM. I have LRABs bullets have not shot any yet because Berger bullets are now my go to bullets.

.300 RUM and 215/230g Berger is a perfect match for LRH and big game. While the new Hornady ELD-X looks promising (I have the 220g to try), there's just not enough real world successes ... yet, I'm sure in due time it will shine.

Meantime, Berger 215/230 has proven itself exceptionally well and is hard to beat. Do a query on Jeff's (BROZ) post about the Berger 215/230 and .300 Win Mag and you'll see why.

Cheers!

Ed

Thanks Ed! I am a dedicated bow hunter 99% of the time. But most big game that I have taken with a rifle have all been with the 200 grain Accu bond bullet. Absolutely no issues whatsoever from ranges of 75 yards out to the furthest being a Caribou at 796. I'm pretty concerned about bullet choice this year, mainly for the fact that I drew and my wife as well, too hard to get bull elk tags for rifle season. The ELD-X bullets would absolutely be tested this year if I can get them to shoot. If not I'll stick with the Accu bonds or maybe even try the heavier Berger bullets. I have yet to shoot a Berger bullet out of my ultra mag. They perform excellent out of my wife's 243 and my 6.5 x 284 so i'm sure the results of the ultra mag would be the same. I've always just been a little leery of shooting the Bergers because a few years back I shot a big meal deer buck with 140 grain Berger and it basically hit fur and exploded upon entry. Knocked the deer over, and as I walked over, he jumped up and ran and I had to make another shot. Then I used the same 140 grain bullet coyote hunting and basically it hit the front shoulder of a coyote at about 170 yards and a bullet just Gernade it again. Not sure if this is common or not, but just always had me leery about shooting an elk at five or 600 yards with one

Thanks Ed! I am a dedicated bow hunter 99% of the time. But most big game that I have taken with a rifle have all been with the 200 grain Accu bond bullet. Absolutely no issues whatsoever from ranges of 75 yards out to the furthest being a Caribou at 796. I'm pretty concerned about bullet choice this year, mainly for the fact that I drew and my wife as well, too hard to get bull elk tags for rifle season. The ELD-X bullets would absolutely be tested this year if I can get them to shoot. If not I'll stick with the Accu bonds or maybe even try the heavier Berger bullets. I have yet to shoot a Berger bullet out of my ultra mag. They perform excellent out of my wife's 243 and my 6.5 x 284 so i'm sure the results of the ultra mag would be the same. I've always just been a little leery of shooting the Bergers because a few years back I shot a big meal deer buck with 140 grain Berger and it basically hit fur and exploded upon entry. Knocked the deer over, and as I walked over, he jumped up and ran and I had to make another shot. Then I used the same 140 grain bullet coyote hunting and basically it hit the front shoulder of a coyote at about 170 yards and a bullet just Gernade it again. Not sure if this is common or not, but just always had me leery about shooting an elk at five or 600 yards with one

I know exactly what you mean. I used NPs for a long time before switching to NABs and very skeptical of trying the Berger bullets but I am glad I did. My real world experience with the Berger bullets is very limited thus far (switched ~2013) and nowhere BROZ's and others' successes here; in 2013 I harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yards with 190 Berger VLD off my .300 WM and last year a muley buck at 425 yards with 215 Berger off my .300 WSM.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 200 NABs esp when you have very good experience with it, I just think with that much powder capacity, the 230 Berger is a perfect match ... but that's just me.

Congrats on your draw. I didn't have luck on my special draw, so I'll be doing the general elk and deer. I have my fingers and toes crossed that I fill my tags during archery season so I can guide my son and his friend during rifle season. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

Ed

Like you I am a bow hunter most of the time and when it comes to my arrows and broad heads I always buy the very best, I believe in doing the very same with my hunting ammo!

I recently purchased a new 300 Win Mag and had it customized, the reason why I selected a 300 WM was because of all of the research I did on factory loads since I do not shoot enough to warrant getting into loading.

Upon researching every popular brand of cartridge I decided to go with the ABLR's for two reasons. 1. I have been using Trophy Grade Accubonds in my 300 WSM and have had nothing but excellent results with them and 2. Because of the advertised velocities and energies maintained at distance, especially at long range, they simply out preformed all other brands and actually had similar energy as most .338's I looked at. .338 caliber shells are hard to find where I am from so I went for the 300 WM, which are more readily available.

Now the interesting part!

My scope is a Huskemaw and I had my gunsmith set up my scope and Turret, so I have a long range rifle, which was my goal and I wanted as much energy as possible out of the cartridge I was going to shoot with (he shot 53 shots with the ABLR's). After chronographing out of my gun, the performance is almost identical to what Nosler advertised! Here is a direct comparison to what I am getting with the ABLR's v. the advertised velocities and energies:

As advertised on The Nosler Accubond ABLR 190 Grain Box:
200 vel 2583 / energy 2816
400 vel 2314 / energy 2260
600 vel 2062 / energy 1794
800 vel 1826 / energy 1407

Chronographed Nosler Accubond ABLR 190 Grain out of my 300 WM
200 vel 2602.3 / energy 2856.6
400 vel 2302.5 / energy 2236.3
600 vel 2023.0 / energy 1726.2
800 vel 1746.5 / energy 1313.3
900 vel 1644.2 / energy 1140.3
1000 vel 1530.7 / energy 988.4

Am I disappointed with the ballistics I am getting, not in the least as I am getting pretty much as what was advertised by Nosler. Can't wait to put the smack down at distance on my first Moose, Elk or Deer with Suzie Q!

Happy Hunting & Shooting! KB

Last edited:

Cheers!

Ed
You're as bad as me about that. My granddad always taught me to let others do the experimenting.

I try to stick with it but occasionally I just can't help myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.