Accelerator loads

youarenotcrazy

A friend purchased Accelerator sabots which are .30 caliber sabots to fire .22 caliber bullets. He wants me to work up a load for him with some 55 grain bullets, and I'm clueless as to what to use for powder. Does anyone know what I should be pushing these with? Thanks much

It probably won't make a whole lot of difference. They're about as accurate as a blunder-buss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You don't mention the rifle cartridge you're going to be using, but anything in 30 cal should be able to make good use of a light load of 4064...

Dan

how am I doing? It is for the good ol' .30-06. When we tested some factory loaded accelerators we were getting an avg of 1.5" @ 100 yds...not great, but fine for pumpkin shooting or whatever he intends to do with them. Thanks

I do not know the brand or composition of the ones your using, but here are a few links that might help give you some guidlines.

Spirit of '76 Gun Page

Sabot Info

E. Arthur Brown Company

While doing your testing you might try something a tad heavier, and you might get a little better accuracy. Being that the 55's normally work well with a slower twist, something in the 62 - 70gr. range, might work out even better in a 1-10 twist. Just something to consider.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.