? about rl-26 7rm tikka 162 eld-x

nmbarta

Just seeing if anyone has anything useful. I'll get it figured out, but it's always nice to have some ideas.
I have some 4831sc, H-1000, Retumbo, Rl-22, and could try as well, but those are already being used in other rifles.
I have a couple pounds of rl-26, but got rid of the rifle I was using it in. I figured if I could make it work here, my other powders would last longer for those rifles. Just trying to be as efficient as possible right now with what I got.
It seems like this should be a decent combination, but there isn't much for information on it that I can find.
I also have some 150 and 168 lrabs laying around, never tried them, but they might be a worth giving a go.

I'm sure it will work just fine. I've tried it with 168's in a 26" r700 and got sub moa. Already have a lights out load with H4831 so just stuck with that.

R26 shot equally as accurate as Retumbo in my Rem 700 LR with 180 ELDM s. About 50 FPS more too. Worked up to 66.5 grains of it. With 162 it'll most likely take another couple grains rifle dependent of course.

Good Luck

Just seen you re in AZ... take that into consideration if you shoot in high temps and you do load development in cooler temps. R26 is more spiky than some!

Just seen you re in AZ... take that into consideration if you shoot in high temps and you do load development in cooler temps. R26 is more spiky than some!
Thanks for the heads up. Not sure where it says AZ, but I'm in MT.
I did some testing today, just to break in the barrel and get some brass formed.
I started at 66 and went up to 69. 3036fps out of a 24.3" barrel. I'm happy with that. No signs of pressure, I loaded the same case 6x and the primer pockets are still good. It only grew .005, so that's nice as well. I won't take it up any higher I don't think, I don't like to run these things too hard.
I got some loaded just under mag length at 69.0. I'll see how it shoots this afternoon or tomorrow.

Don't know how I got AZ off your profile either...🤣. Sounds like you ve got a solid approach on the load. Hopefully shoots well.

Well, it shot good, not awsome.
If it wasn't for a couple fliers it would be holding about 3/4 moa. 10 shots, 2 shots took it to 1.5 moa. Mag length makes it tough to do much with seating depth. I'll go up to 69.5 and see if she comes together.
I was hoping to get lucky, not sure how far off the lands I am. I'll measure that and go from there

Sounds like you're getting there. As you know seating depth will vary with each gun and bullet. And that can be everything when it comes together lol. Personally I've never had to load one tight to get a good outcome, knock on wood lol.

I've had good luck with the eld-x line around .080 off. I'll check that, but I'm guessing I'm already past that. She'll shoot, just have to mess around here a bit.

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure where it says AZ, but I'm in MT.
I did some testing today, just to break in the barrel and get some brass formed.
I started at 66 and went up to 69. 3036fps out of a 24.3" barrel. I'm happy with that. No signs of pressure, I loaded the same case 6x and the primer pockets are still good. It only grew .005, so that's nice as well. I won't take it up any higher I don't think, I don't like to run these things too hard.
I got some loaded just under mag length at 69.0. I'll see how it shoots this afternoon or tomorrow.
Mag length of what?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.