? about a 284 win

Possum284

I'm sure it has I just don't know the name but has it been necked up to 30cal. cause I have a 308 and it would seem like there would be some improvment in ballistics or am I way off. thanks for the help.

30X284.......basically a 30-06 in a short action.....IMO not enough velocity gain to offset the expense of a rechamber and $$$ dies

thanks for the help I'm pretty much new to most of this and tryin to learn what I can is there any other short action 30cal. options to go to from a 308 beside like a 300wsm i have a savage with a 30in barrel thanks.

thanks for the help I'm pretty much new to most of this and tryin to learn what I can is there any other short action 30cal. options to go to from a 308 beside like a 300wsm i have a savage with a 30in barrel thanks.

300 Rem SAUM

30X284.......basically a 30-06 in a short action.....IMO not enough velocity gain to offset the expense of a rechamber and $$$ dies
.284 win mag is a belted magnum.........basically a 30-06 in a short action.....not hardly.

Last edited:
.284 win mag is a belted magnum.........basically a 30-06 in a short action.....not hardly.

Don't know what you have been smoking, but a 284 winchester is neither belted nor a magnum.......it has about the same powder capacity as a 280 Remington.....when you neck it up to 30 caliber, it pretty much duplicates a 30-06.......might want to check your facts before you correct someone else!

Hutt, I'm hoping in the response you gave your were thinking of the 264 WM, 300 WM, 338 WM or any variant of the WSM's or WSSM's.

The 284 is not a belted cartridge or even listed as a magnum.

Possum,
Don't have a lot of experience with 30/284,shot in a f-class match with a guy @1000. His 30/284 was a hammer and bullet traces was very flat! All in all an impressive shooter.
Wayne

Hutt, I'm hoping in the response you gave your were thinking of the 264 WM, 300 WM, 338 WM or any variant of the WSM's or WSSM's.

The 284 is not a belted cartridge or even listed as a magnum.
My bad I was refering to the .264 ...My appologies>

30-284

Hi we have chambered 4 or 5 of them with 30"brls they get shoot verry well. the ones we built are for F Class and are restricted by the boltface size off fullbore actions. if you have an action that will handle a mag boltface use Norma cases and the 300 rem saum or even better neck it to 7mm and it performs even better

Cheers Bill
Australia

The 30-284 is a good round , I wulden't say that it is a good choice for a short action especialy if your gonna use heavy VLD bullets but with the 110 to 175gr it should work well. Using Lapua 6.5-284 brass and necking it up you would have a little bit LESS capacity than the 30-06 but in its effecientcy it will come very close to matching it velocity wise if the same quality brass is used.

If your gonna use a 30" barrel your would be better served balisticaly using a regular 284 with the better BC bullets.

If your barrel is a 308 right now and your wating to get more power why not use a 300WSM ?

Seems similar to the Swiss 7.5

I've never tried it, but K31 reloaders often refer to necking up .284 Win brass to .30 if Swiss 7.5. brass isn't available.

7.5x55mm Schmidt Rubin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia shows the standard GP-11 round (174gr) has a velocity of 2560 fps with a 49.35 gr of whatever powder it's loaded with. This is presumably out of a 26" barrel since that is the standard length on the K31.

Jon

My vote is for the 300WSM for a factory available round. I did not like the velocity from a 308 so re-chambered to .284 and got another 140fps.

Since you have a Savage I would not hesitate to change the bolt head and barrel for a real velocity gain in 300WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.