Abinok.....

remingtonman_25_06

I just received your solvent. What would you recomend for a cleaning procedure?? I am about to clean a couple rifles and was going to use the stuff you sent, but I thought maybe I should ask before doing anything. I usually wet a couple patches with solvent, run them up and down to get the bore wet, then put solvent on a nylon brush and run that up and back several times. Then dry patch it and I"m done.

P.S. Should I be putting an oil patch down my barrel after drying it with patches before my 1st shot??

Just hit the barrel with whatever carbon/powder solvent you use ( I like GM top engine cleaner), brush with a bronze brush if you like... I do, then let it set a few minutes, redope the bore, rebrush, then patch out. Repeat untill you arent fetting powder fouling anymore. Next, put one wet patch of the accelerator I sent through, then fill the bore with wipeout as usual. I let mine set till either all the foam has turned to liquid, or I get time... whichever comes first... or last.
Patch out, and if you like, repeat. I have found that as long as all the carbon/powder fouling is removed first, the wipeout with accelerator left in the bore for a few hours will usually do the job in one application. Im using about 6 patches total to clean these days.

JB1000BR did a great writeup over on 6mmbr.com on this.

I don't usually put anything in the bore after im through cleaning... provided its a stainless barrel. On occasion, some of my guns get a spray of Lockeze... a colloidal graphite. Essentially, it simulates powder fouling for the first shot to help some barrels put their cold bore shot into the group formed by the subsequent shots.

Let your gun tell you what it wants. If the first shot lands with the 2nd and third from a dry bore, so be it. If not, o some experimenting with other things. One thing to remember... no oils with teflon (aka. PTFE) in the bore.

I don't usually use nylon brushes inless im using CR-10 to verify that theres no copper left after the wipeout is done. Don't usually do that anymore on barrels im accustomed to cleaning.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.