A thank you to the CA lead ban...

I'm in Commifornia as well and started working up lead free loads for all my weapons about five years ago. After trying just about every brand and I have decided on using the Cutting Edge Raptors or Lehigh Defense Chaos bullets for small and medium game and the Ttsx Barnes for elk and larger animals. It offers the better penetration so it is great for that. However on deer I found the the standard monolithic bullets would blow through and not expend most of their energy in the animal. Found that we were having to track too many animals even those with complete heart and lung shots. The Raptors and Chaos bullets tend to mimic my all time favorite bullets (partition) and expend the majority of their energy inside the animal. Most are drt when shot with them. Expensive bullets but with all the costs involved with the sport they are still the cheapest part. I also have found that lead free bullets are very consistent so can be inherently more accurate overall than lead bullets.

I'm not up to snuff on all the funny laws that Ca.has but will the wardens fine someone if they have lead bullets.just asking anyone that knows.

Only two reasons I can ever see going to Cali again, for work (and then someone else is paying the bill) or if I am ever lucky enough to draw a sheep or Tule tag. Otherwise the Dimocraps, illegals and idiots can have it - beautiful state, it just needs to get rid of all the Commufornians and illegal Mexicans. Guess I'll create my own luck, go buy some .338 or .264 TTSXs (or if I need to, some of the other non-lead bullets you fine folks recommended) and get the .340 and .264WinMag set for that sheep/elk hunt in the land of fruits and nuts.

Poppadoer: They will write you in a heartbeat if you are caught with lead ammo in the field hunting. You can't even have it the truck or in a sidearm for protection. We accually had a Warden threaten to write one of our guys up because he had lead core 44 ammo in the cabin when we were on a pig hunt. Only way we stopped him is by letting him know we would fight it in court. Don't think it would have stood up in court, but it would be a hassle to fight it. So personally, I go completely lead free here in CA.

Do I agree with the law, absolutely not, it is a joke. But it has opened our eyes to new technology.

When I first started using the lead free stuff, I was like everyone "these things suck!" That is until I learned how to load for them. It's a whole new learning curve. Throw out all the stuff you learned with lead and start over.

I shoot a 338 Gibbs (338-06 imp'd with the shoulder move .100' out). Shooting Partitions, Hornady, Sierras, etc, never been below 3/4" on a good day. With Barnes TTSX I have shot sub 1/2" groups, I love them.

Currently working on a new 300 Rum, have only bothered with the Barnes so far. Just got some Hammers that I can't wait to try.

Again, it's not all about the one deer you shoot every couple of years.

If you're okay with the State telling you what bullet you must use then more power to ya...but us that believe in actual Freedom won't be bending over to the complete BS law. Especially when the vast majority of the State has never nor will ever be a Condor habitat.

IMO, Cali, like Chicago, is an example of extreme human overpopulation. I think special laws for this situation are reasonable. "Actual freedom" has not served us well at all where humanity is overdone. Look at the plastic in the ocean. If humans show that they don't care, then shove that truth up their rears. If you look at whatever issue it is, then look at it accurately. Looking at anything as purely political, is not looking at it accurately.

Poppadoer: They will write you in a heartbeat if you are caught with lead ammo in the field hunting. You can't even have it the truck or in a sidearm for protection. We accually had a Warden threaten to write one of our guys up because he had lead core 44 ammo in the cabin when we were on a pig hunt. Only way we stopped him is by letting him know we would fight it in court. Don't think it would have stood up in court, but it would be a hassle to fight it. So personally, I go completely lead free here in CA.

Do I agree with the law, absolutely not, it is a joke. But it has opened our eyes to new technology.

When I first started using the lead free stuff, I was like everyone "these things suck!" That is until I learned how to load for them. It's a whole new learning curve. Throw out all the stuff you learned with lead and start over.

I shoot a 338 Gibbs (338-06 imp'd with the shoulder move .100' out). Shooting Partitions, Hornady, Sierras, etc, never been below 3/4" on a good day. With Barnes TTSX I have shot sub 1/2" groups, I love them.

Currently working on a new 300 Rum, have only bothered with the Barnes so far. Just got some Hammers that I can't wait to try.
Thanks .I figured as much.Seems like the Redcoats have invaded California.I like my sierra bullets but have been using Barnes a lot and really like them.

A special law for a Condor that isn't even here?
Actually, they are here. I dammed near kilt one that swooped some carrion on the far side of a highway crest that I crested at the same time.
No, that's a strictly political law.
Indeed. The usual ploy, leverage something semi-related to get what you want.

This was a great state before the carpet baggers moved in.

Actually, they are here. I dammed near kilt one that swooped some carrion on the far side of a highway crest that I crested at the same time.

Indeed. The usual ploy, leverage something semi-related to get what you want.

This was a great state before the carpet baggers moved in.

I meant here as in Northern California...and everywhere outside of the "Condor zone".

[QUOTE="adam32, post: Randy, you can have lead in your sidearm for protection IF you have a current CCW permit.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how having a CCW could affect the lead free band?

I do know from first hand experience the Wardens are serious about enforcing the law. After all, it is more money for the state.

I decided after the run in on the Pig Hunt, only carry lead free. Then there is zero chance of getting a ticket.

I will no longer hunt dove in CA because of the requirement to shoot steel shot. Two years ago we hunted a Fish & Game plot near Blythe, had to use steel. I made a solid hit at least three birds, feathers flew and they just kept on flying. They prob landed somewhere and died from the wounds. I am not going to be that cruel to an animal.

[QUOTE="adam32, post: Randy, you can have lead in your sidearm for protection IF you have a current CCW permit.

Not sure how having a CCW could affect the lead free band?

I do know from first hand experience the Wardens are serious about enforcing the law. After all, it is more money for the state.

I decided after the run in on the Pig Hunt, only carry lead free. Then there is zero chance of getting a ticket.

I will no longer hunt dove in CA because of the requirement to shoot steel shot. Two years ago we hunted a Fish & Game plot near Blythe, had to use steel. I made a solid hit at least three birds, feathers flew and they just kept on flying. They prob landed somewhere and died from the wounds. I am not going to be that cruel to an animal.[/QUOTE]

It's written into the law, if you have a CCW it is considered protection and not a hunting weapon so you are good to go with lead.

Agreed on the dove hunting. I go on a trip every year to the valley, not this year.

IMO, Cali, like Chicago, is an example of extreme human overpopulation. I think special laws for this situation are reasonable. "Actual freedom" has not served us well at all where humanity is overdone. Look at the plastic in the ocean. If humans show that they don't care, then shove that truth up their rears. If you look at whatever issue it is, then look at it accurately. Looking at anything as purely political, is not looking at it accurately.

Of course you are welcome to your opinion, but I disagree to this extent: rural areas of California are not over-populated compared to many other states (no one hunts in downtown LA or SF, but a tag for shooting drug dealers would be good), the political drive in California is ALL aimed at eliminating anything to do with private ownership of firearms. Tax, restrict, tax, restrict. I live in California, have a CCW, and am looking at this accurately.
If Grusome Newsome could get away with banning guns, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

32623BFB-C3E7-4745-8C26-8B265F0DF5B0.jpeg

I mostly shoot for recreation. Here is half of my ten year old twin grandsons shooting lead bullets in my 32-20.
JORDAN ran out of elevation adjustment at the 620 yard gong so we quit!

I just moved back to Southern California for work and and dealing with this whole non-lead thing. Initially I bought non-lead bullets for all my Rifles with the intent of finding a load for all of them, but I just don't have the time. I found a good load for one and that's the one I'll use, the others will be for the range and out of state hunts.

My question with the whole thing is how are they going to check? I mean GMXs look like SSTs when loaded? Are the going to take a bullet from me and not give it back? The rules actually state it will help if you carry the box the bullets came in on you. I doubt game wardens down here know one bullet from another. The last one that checked me here couldn't even open the bolt on my rifle without asking me for help (safety was on).

Interesting with the side arm discussion. I would have never thought those had to be non-lead as well. Thanks for the heads up. I hunt right on the boarder and there are too many lions and illegals not to carry one!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts