A Nightforce Experience

Heh, well you disagree but also agree. :) No single illumination setting is going to be optimum, or even helpful, in all conditions. Anybody trying to tell you it will be is trying to sell you something. This is one of the nicest things about their 2.5-10 for general hunting IMHO.

But more importantly, my meaning was it doesn't always have to be very dark at all for some people to want a thicker reticle. The only times I've ever thought a thinner one would be nice is on sunny summer days shooting at nicely white painted or papter targets. Never when hunting. I have found myself on the dark side of a mountain actually in the timber wishing the reticle was thicker, even in the middle of a sunny day. In conditions like that there is enough light the illuminated reticle does you no good. If you want a thicker reticle, having illumination doesn't fix it.

Now in the same conditions, some will be fine with a thin reticle. That's fine, everybody is different and has their own preferences. And of course many here don't do any "walk around hunting" at all so quickness may not ever be an issue. That's fine too. My only point was one is not a replacement for the other in all conditions for those who want it.

Last edited:
Roy -

Thanks for the nice write up - I noticed the bump on the web site and saw it came from here. One small correction - at 300 yds, the correction is about 2.5 MOA. Sorry I didn't turn on the light in the scope for you - you've taken too much heat on that one. For what it's worth, you were shooting Hornady AMAX.

Roy -

Thanks for the nice write up - I noticed the bump on the web site and saw it came from here. One small correction - at 300 yds, the correction is about 2.5 MOA. Sorry I didn't turn on the light in the scope for you - you've taken too much heat on that one. For what it's worth, you were shooting Hornady AMAX.

I sure didn't look like the smartest guy in the world either, did I?

I take a lot of heat about a lot of things. This is a fun place to lounge.

The order for the scope is going in. The only difference from yours will be 22x max and 1 MOA windage marks.

thanks, again

Roy

I really like the Nightforce NXS scopes to me they are one of the best scopes on the market for the price.

I would recommend the 5.5-22x50mm at the high I'm just not a fan of the 8-32x56mm or the 12-42x56mm for a hunting scope they are great for BR shooting.

If we can be of help in getting any scope especially Nightforce feel free to ask we try to keep them in stock.

Mike @ CSGW

Was at the range yesterday doing some final tuning.

A fella shows up with a Savage F-Class factory rifle with a Nightforce 8-42 X 56.

The fella and his buddy were doing some shooting @ 100 yds. Hmmm, I figured a lot of scope for 100 yd work.

They were friendly and offered without my asking if I wanted to shoot it. (the tongue hanging out may have been a bit of an indicator:))

I need a scope for a build and have been torn at the point where the money leaves the pocket. That now seems to be pretty much decided........I hope :rolleyes:

First test. after setting it up for my good eye, was to crank it up to 42 power and be nicely surprised that it was just as clear at max power than any other power. I'm used things fizzling out above about 75 or 80 % of maximum. Other than the field of view shrinkage I found no fault with clarity change w/power change.

Next test was to determine if 22X would be sufficient for my needs. I cranked 'er to R which is where the reticle is calibrated. About the time I was looking through the scope a small local bird that is about 3/4 the size of a robin landed on a twig at something well over 1200 yards.

There was no problem whether to shoot at the head or body of the little bird. (Dream on Roy:rolleyes:). The scope would certainly handle that job.

The only catch 22 is the reticle. It may well be perfect for shooting in day light, but may be a bit thin (for my good eye) as light dims. From the varied cloud cover of the day, I would guestimate if it were too dark to see the reticle it would be well beyond shooting time.

I shot at 100, 200 and 300. As I changed distances the owner cranked clicks. He knew his rifle. It was spot on at each distance. However, I'm not used to a 6 moa adjustment from 100 to 300 yards. (The 308 ain't quite a 270 AM:)).

Elevation graduation were 1 moa and 2 moa for windage. I'd think I'd be more comfortable with 1 moa windage stadia. I also don't think I'd have any problem descerning 1/2 or even 1/4 MOA elevation holds if it should become necessary.

Results of the evaluation is that even though two "just as good as" scopes can be had for the price of one NXS, the limited choice of reticles and a little personal queasieness is the deal breaker.

A little about that Savage. Pretty sweet and what a shooter. However, that nifty triggerand I didn't get along at all. The owner said it was set at 7 oz which would have been great, for me, without the two stage thing. The old Remmy 2oz trigger on the 40Xs are only a dim memory. This trigger is really great other than my not being used to it.

there is no doubt that nightforce makes a great scope. BUT calling it top of the line is a bit out of place. Now you can say that dollar for dollar it is the best but anyone who has shot a Schmidt-Bender masterpiece will tell, there is no comparison between a Nightforce and a Schmidt-Bender scope. The quality of the optics in the S-B scope is exceptional with nothing really comparable. They are however very expensive which might make you look seriously at the nightforce.

bob chronister

Bob,

I hear what you're saying.

Comparing a S&B to anything is beyond my comprehension.:rolleyes:

I was eying a Lotus Elice the other day but I still drive a Zuki Side Kick.:D

So much good stuff and so little money.:)

Roy dont worry about that little light thingie.....you know how to dial the important knobs and that is what counts. I find the lighted reticule almost useless anyway....by the time I need it legal shooting light is gone anyway.

I sure didn't look like the smartest guy in the world either, did I?

I take a lot of heat about a lot of things. This is a fun place to lounge.

The order for the scope is going in. The only difference from yours will be 22x max and 1 MOA windage marks.

thanks, again

Roy

Roy,

I figure you have forgotten more about guns, shooting and LR then I will ever know. I am certain you will thoroughly enjoy your new scope. :)

Best,

-MR

Bob,

I hear what you're saying.

Comparing a S&B to anything is beyond my comprehension.:rolleyes:

I was eying a Lotus Elice the other day but I still drive a Zuki Side Kick.:D

So much good stuff and so little money.:)

That is in fact reality. I have retired from teaching at a college of Medicine but have been offered a job close by. I am seriously thinking of taking the job teaching in Hattiesburg, Ms just to get money to support my expensive habits like Weatherby rifles and great scopes. I can see a S&B coming home with me and maybe a Nightforce or 2. My wife will get ticked but such is life!

As to sports cars, I had a triumph tr-250 that I totallly rebuilt. Had a 7 speed transmission and nothing made my day like blowing a mustang off the road. I could lay rubber in all 7 gears. I mean the engine itself had bronze lifters, dual weber carbs, electronic ignition and all kind of stabilizing products. The car was a masterpiece until some retired coast guard guy hit me in the right rear fender and then tried to blame it on me.Twill be an interesting experience

If I had my way today I would mount a 50 cal machine on my hood and put a couple of 20 mm cannons on the back. As you get older you loose patience easily. As a dear friend of mine likes to say, I am nuts but dammit, I earned it :)

Heh, well you disagree but also agree. :) No single illumination setting is going to be optimum, or even helpful, in all conditions. Anybody trying to tell you it will be is trying to sell you something. This is one of the nicest things about their 2.5-10 for general hunting IMHO.

But more importantly, my meaning was it doesn't always have to be very dark at all for some people to want a thicker reticle. The only times I've ever thought a thinner one would be nice is on sunny summer days shooting at nicely white painted or papter targets. Never when hunting. I have found myself on the dark side of a mountain actually in the timber wishing the reticle was thicker, even in the middle of a sunny day. In conditions like that there is enough light the illuminated reticle does you no good. If you want a thicker reticle, having illumination doesn't fix it.

Now in the same conditions, some will be fine with a thin reticle. That's fine, everybody is different and has their own preferences. And of course many here don't do any "walk around hunting" at all so quickness may not ever be an issue. That's fine too. My only point was one is not a replacement for the other in all conditions for those who want it.

Jon, I sure wont disagree with with the points you have made here, and you make a good point that we are all different. After your post I decided to take my rifle out back down in the thick cottonwood bottoms behind my house just after sunset. There was enough light to see the reticle without illumination and it was dark enough that I was barely able to pickup the illumination when I pulled the knob out. So, in my case, it seems the reticle works in all huning conditions. Having said that, the first time I looked through a NF in the store, I could not see the reticle inside against a dark background, but I could see it with the illumination. Who knows, maybe I will find a "daylight" hunting situation where the reticle is difficult to pick up.

Good shooting,

=MR

ah! twin webers. Back in the day at Belchfire Stables, Lynchburg VA, I was the mechanic/tuner. I was top notch at the twin webers on the Triumph TR-.

Actually my Zuki's are parked in Idaho. I'm running rental cars here...... Hey, it's you stimulus dollars......:rolleyes:

Regarding retical definition in various light conditions. Under actual hunting conditions in steep mountains, I felt the NF reticles were a bit thin during the very early and very late portions of the day.

The reticle on the Weaver Tactical, discontinued, MIL Dot was nearly perfect under all light conditions.

I put a Zeiss conquest with the heavy duplex style on my LRH deer/yote rifle as I carry it to and from the shooting spot.

This next rifle is a dedicated LRH rifle that is heavy enough to not be comfortable at all shooting off hand. Thus the luminated ret of the NF will be great.

Montana - don't ever think that I've forgotten more than you know. I'm just learnin.

Going for clay birds at 800 this weekend. I'm working on the drop chart at this high elevation.

I'll be damned. There are few who even know what weber carbs are let alone used them. They certainly jacked up the horsepower-torgue of my tr-250. I mean that sucker could fly. Did some racing with it and it more than met my capabilities. Everyone knows what whitewalls are but how many folks remember the pink walls. I almost wrote to some frinds in England to get fuel injection for the critter.

Course only you and I give a hoot about such things. Now I have have a wooden stocked 30-378 with a Burris scope on it . Not a nightforce or S-B but accurate at 1000 yards. A distant relative of mine Earl Chronister set the original 1000 yards (actually 1022) with a 4 inch group. I have talked to Earl and he is a thorough gentleman but I sure would not want him shooting at me even at his age.

bob chronister

Please excuse a dumb question but am I to understand the higher power NFs do not have externally adjustable illumination, like my 2.5 - 10

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.