A musing question comparing the 7mm WBY to the 7mm Rem Mag...

mindcrime

Both calibers headspace off of the BELT, as most of us already know, MY QUESTION is can you fire 7mm Rem Mag factory ammo in a 7mm WBY chamber "in a pinch" if 7mm WBY ammunition is not available????? (JFYI, I know there would be a decent bullet jump to the lands; however this will be a custom build NOT a factory WBY with their factory freebore.)

IF the answer is NO, would it work with a 7mm WBY "improved" style of chamber???

The reason that I ask is that I prefer the longer neck that the 7mm WBY alots, however 7mm Rem ammunition is much more plentiful. I DO understand that once a 7mm Rem is fired in the WBY chamber, the brass is un-reloadable since it will substantially shorten the already short 7mm Rem neck.

Thanks for any insight you may have into my rather odd question.

The 7mm Remington body and shoulder is a little longer than the Weatherby. It will likely chamber hard in the Weatherby chamber. If the bolt will close. you can fire them.

About 15 years ago, I made my 7mm Rem cases from 7mm Weatherby cases. I'm still using them.

Last edited:
Like Edd said, you have it backwards... You can't shoot 7RM brass in a 7Wby to form brass, as the Wby's neck is longer and the shoulder is shorter. But you CAN use expensive 7mm Wby brass to form in your 7mm RM. LOL

Personally, with the velocities my hunting rifle is putting down (26", 9.25" twist, 7mm RemMag), I have no need to buy overpriced brass. 50pcs of Nosler 7mmRM is still cheaper than 40 pcs of Weatherby brand 7mmWby brass. I'm shooting Berger 168 VLD's at 3,115 fps confirmed by my MagnetoSpeed V2. To say from experience last deer season, it hits like a freight train. And half the time, they never take another step. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts