A MAX for hunting?

I have to agree with the "in favor of" crowd. I have only used 6.5MM A MAX 140's and they are lightning on mule deer. I killed a buck with a neck shot that never touched the spine or any major arteries. Fell on the spot and never moved. Baseball sized exit. Great accuracy. I quit using these bullets because they were causing higher pressures in my rifle. It wasn't worth the trade off. I loved 'em just couldn't justify 'em. Shoot and enjoy.
Dave.

Dachs...

Jeez guy, you made a hell of an entrance for a FNG that's been here for a week!

This is a site for "real" information, which you obviuosly don't have on the subject of A-Maxs.

Bullet makers give "recomendations" based on the average woods hunter, not the skilled longrange hunter.

I would also sugest you not give your opinion on shooting game past 300 yds, cuz on this website, 300 yds is considered "short range".

CatShooter

grin.gif
jup... heres the troll again..
smile.gif

I´ll try to the best of my ability to explain what I mean. I somewhat stand corrected
wink.gif

In my country this is not an option. It is an offence to use bullets design for paper on Big game. There is also an offence to even try LR-hunting - UNLESS you hit deadly every single time. Shots may not be fired unless you are absolutely shure that the bullet will hit deadly.

Therefore we have only short range hunting. Therefore I shout off my mout without any experience with the bullet or LR-hunting.

So you are right... I stand corrected.
I will try out a-max (not on game) and do some experience before I shout out again.

But the mark of an hunter is his ability to get close to the game... That is undisputed among hunters. If you desagree your not an hunter - your just a marksman.

But - speaking for my self - I am facinated about LR. Hitting an small target from great distances. Would like to try that - but that is not possible on game if I want to stay within the laws.

Even trying to do this would get me in trouble amoung hunters. Close friends of mine would hit me over the head wondering if I lost my head. You just dont do that. It´s too dangerous - chance of wounding is greater than killing.

There is big cultural differences between you an my country when it comes to hunting.

Anyway.. sorry about shouting off. I´ll strain myself in the future - not for your sake, but for not looking like a fool every single time I posts...

So please accept my appologises... There will not be another post like that.

[ 03-19-2003: Message edited by: Dachs ]

Dachs

Let me also say I am sorry. I was a little impatient yesterday. Welcome to our site!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Dachs

For added information here.

The animals react totally different when hit at Longrange compared to short range.

When animals are hit at LR, "even with a non fatal wound", will just lay down and not run as they would when you shoot at them and make the same hit at close range.
The muzzle blast is the reason the animal runs when "you" (short range) make a non lethal hit. The animal is scared to death and running for his life. Adrenalin is the cause.

When we make that shot the noise factor is eleminated, the animal heard nothing and absorbed the full energy of the bullet in a relaxed state and it will just lay down.
Have seen it many times. At that point we will put another shot into it for the kill if it's not dead from the first shot. That takes about 10 seconds or less for the second shot.

Was wondering, what country are you in that there are no Longrange capabilities or is it that nobody knows about it?

Please read the many previous posts concerning longrange hunting and you will learn.
wink.gif

DC

I live in Norway. We dont have any long range shootingranges. If we have I would not know where. We have alot of 100 m/200/300 meter shootingranges.

Hunters do they training on 100 meters.

Unfortunately we had an conviction in Norwegian Supreme Court couple of months ago - wich strikes hunters bad. We can not endanger any animal for the risk of getting wounded. If so happens (wounding), there must not be the range, the lightconditions or your lack of training wich is the factor. I must be another factor causing the wounding - else you breake the law.

You´ll only RISK getting prosecuted. You may shoot animals at pitch black night on whatever range you choose, but it must be deadly. Even if you miss a shot and the game walks away you can be prosecuted for careless hunting.

Technically you break the law every time you go hunting - because everytime you endanger the game of suffering.

Last year I shot a roedeer at 200 meters. Perfect hit - straight trough the heart. My lawyer was hunting with me. When he saw the range he opened his eyes WIDE and wondered how I could make myself shooting at that range. The risk was to great.

Well.. he fires about 30-50 rounds a year with his pice - I fire over 1.000 rounds. I "know" my weapon better. I know the ballistic - and I knew I would hit.

But.. what IF....?

So I better learn a lot about LR so I never fires a round that "maybe" hits the game. I must know.

Now I need two things...
1. LR-weapon...
2. BIG long field...

Still searching...

DC, I read some of the archives last night and I would have never guessed an A-MAX would go through the shoulder of an elk at that range, I always thought a match type bullet had such a thin jacket and on impact they just disinegrate, man, you learn something new every day on this forum. But would you still suggest that bullet for lets say a 708 in the woods of WIS. or out to 200yds, you know if a guy just wanted to try it out on a WT? J
cool.gif

But the mark of an hunter is his ability to get close to the game... That is undisputed among hunters. If you desagree your not an hunter - your just a marksman.

I take exception with that statement, and as far as I'm concerned it's just another argumentative line of statements from someone not willing to listen or learn. Change your ways and I'll respond to your posts.
wink.gif
Caste not your pearls unto swine come to mind.
frown.gif

I agree with Brent.
Another foot in the mouth. All of us have hunted to try and get as close to game as we can at one point or another in our hunting careers.

Dachs welcome to our world. Just remember the only stuipd question is the one not asked!

The members around here get a little up tight
wink.gif
when someone tries to impose fiction over facts. Not everyone started out shooting LR we had to start somewhere and learn as we went along.

Like someone else stated the mfgs will give you guide lines so that they don't get sued! If you check some loading manuals using the same bullet you might find different max loads. Don't get me wrong all the knowledge on this board is almost beyond belief. We are greatful to FOUNDERS for starting this site with the thought of people learning to do this RIGHT with little trial and error.

Somewhere along the line we may all have said something to offend or straight out criticize someone that knew better. There are places and times when you can't get as close as we would like too, so we have to try to make the shot as cleanly as possible.

DC,Boyd,338 Laupa and many others have posted pictures of animals shot with match bullets doesn't leave much to be desired
grin.gif
, except to be on the giving end.

Brent and Matt. I´ll stand by that line unless the situation or the game makes it impossible to get any closer. The idea of safe shooting is to get as close as possible. If you choose to shoot at long range just for fun - it is marksmanship - NOT hunting. You does not HUNT the game - you just shoot at it. That does not necccerary aquire any hunting skills at all.

There is no need to argue with me on that issue. I will not "learn" anything else.

To everyone else whom accepted my appologuise.. Thank you very much. I´ll do my best learning about LR - asking questions. Practicing it on game is not my intention. But I would probably have great advances in sticky situations if I can master some of your skills. Now I better surfe around this site some more - just to keep my nose down for a while...

Jay

The 2100 yard shot was done with a 300 Gr 338 Match King Sierra.

I have used the 7mm A-Max (aluminum tip) in my 7mm/300 Weatherby with tremendose success out to 1500 yards. The plastic tips work VERY well in my 7mm/300 Weatherby too
Yes, it can be used at closer range also.

Later
DC
smile.gif

My, my. I must say - 10 minutes past the war deadline and this was *still* a VERY interesting thread. 3 glasses of fine wine and a big plate of my special linguinie with clam sauce (with half a litre of whipping cream and a whole brick of fresh parmesan) made it all the more palatable.
grin.gif

I could see that Dachs was from Norway, and was just waiting for the onslaught of the regulars, each counter-flaming with their own exuberant and characteristic manner. This was quite entertaining! Thank you all, and welcome Dachs. Cheers!!

P.S. Where the %$#@ are all the BOMBS already?!? I am thoroughly embarassed to be Canadian tonight. I apologize on behalf of my country.

P.P.S. Any room down there for one more?

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.