A-MAX bullets RULE!

I want to shoot them this winter in my 300 win to see how they do. BUT I can't find them in stock anywhere. I was looking for the 208gr. Suggestions?

chain,shooting them in my 300wm savage 110fp.didnt shoot worh a darn at 100 yards.3shot group=3".but at 600 yards 3 shots at 4.5".our rifles liked nothing but imr 7828.good luck.jason

I haven't tried any IMR 7828. I have been meaning to I just have pretty good luck with RL 22. What velocities are you getting? I group well with 200 ACCU right around 2750 fps. Thanks

I've shot Wapiti (Elk) and lots of Red Stags with the 162 A-Max out of various 7mm's and they kill superbly, at range. That is the most important consideration when using thinly jacketed match bullets like the A-Max, Berger, SMK etc on big game. If too close, the impact velocity will be too fast and the bullet will expand too quick and lack penetration, especially if bones are hit, and may not get to the vitals. It all depends on the cartridge, the size and angle of the animal, and the range and therefore the impact velocity. These bullets kill quicker than premium bullets at extended ranges, because they expand at long range like a premium bullet does up close. In my walkabout hunting rifles I always run two loads, something like an AccuBond for shots inside 500 yards, and a high BC match type bullet for shots beyond this. This is in the faster cartridges for each caliber, if you are shooting something in the slower end of the spectrum, this change over point will be much closer, but I wouldn't use these slower cartridges at long range anyway. You can use the match type bullets closer even with the fast cartridges, so long as you are picky about the shots you take, and are prepared to pass up shots where there is too much bone or paunch to get through to get to the vitals. Be prepared for more meat damage though, but I always believed you're better to recover 2 or 3 legs of meat than no meat because the animal made it too far after being shot and you couldn't find it!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts