A brief comment on takedown rifles

kopcicle

One short diversion.

I've often considered a take down rifle. 120 degree interrupted thread (60 degree turn to lock) interchangeable barrels for a medium weight rifle. My obvious concern is repeatability when it comes to whack off whack on and holding some sort of zero.
I'm sure we've all seen the cinematic portrayal of the rifle assembled on a rooftop and the cold bore shot at 800m.
I'm in no way new at this and I have yet to see the rifle, let alone the marksman that could do this. This doesn't mean either or both doesn't exist. It just means that I, in my humble wandering, have not in five decades seen either. I've come closest to meeting the marksman. I knew because even if they were capable of the shot repeatedly their comment was something like "It doesn't go that way all the time". With proficiency comes humility in this case. Call it guarded confidence.
The rifle is a different story. I've seen take down barrel bolt actions maintain repeated ability to return to zero, for a time, a very short time. This is usually measured in just a few hundreds of rounds.
There has to be a better way.