A bolt advice

Acelr8

Looking to rebarrel my Abolt in 338WM. Due to lack of a brake and I feel needs a Little heavier barrel for accuracy. She doesn't shoot real well. This is my hunting rifle not BR.
Should I change calibers to? I am not unhappy with this one though. Taper of barrel and type,brand of brake? Brand of barrel and recommendations for the smith to do the job. Or am I better off just selling it and buying something else.
Thanks Jeff

I really like my Abolt, but re barreling only works if you really like everything else about the rifle. Has it been accurate, if not, why so? If yes, by all means re barrel. I guess the key is, Browning doesn't like to have their guns taken apart, will the threads be okay to re barrel? That seems to be the question most in my mind. They seems to put their barrels on tight, although I don't know what that really means.

First of all, what loads are you shooting at present in your browning 338??

I've been shooting the 338 win for years in a # 1 and it's a good cal.. Usually I'm pitching 225 hornady sp's with rl19 under them. Some rifles are just finicky and you may have to play a bit to get her going better.

I have a a-bolt ss boss lh an 300 win that I frankly love to field as it shoots as well in the field as the bench. It's a classic 1/2 moa rifle. The brownings will shoot, but they can be a bit bitchy until you find what they want.

As far as recoil, the brownings don't have much pad so a better recoil pad may be in order first as it is a heck of a lot cheaper than a brake and will likely be enough.

I have tried all the hornady and Sierra 215 and 225 combos with RL 19. Have already put on a pad but the recoil is too much for my shoulder after surgery. The brake is the number one reason and the barrel I believe is too light because I put on a limbsaver on the barrel and it move POI 4 inches at 100( no bull ). I like the rifle otherwise but recoil and accuracy is most important. I also prefer the larger cals because in my mind there have been more things screwed up with too small a hammer than too big. Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.