9MM handgun hunting (Personal Protection)

MagTen

Before you jump off the deep end look at results. There are varied thoughts on what it takes to kill large game. A great thought is deep penetration with hard core or solids for defense and dangerous game. There is also a thought of explosive impact of core bonded and partition bullets. I have been testing many type bullets in my 45 WinMag and my Glock 17L with ported entended barrel which gives me great velocities.

We have been setting up 12 one gallon oil cans filled with water. Most of the shots with either 225 or 250 gr. bullets either Barnes or Hornady. The 35 Remington, 350 RemMag and 35 Whelen bullets penetrated mostly 6 to 8 jugs. Handgun bullets mostly 5 to 7 jugs. The suprising outcome was the 45 WinMag with a hot load of 250 gr. jacketed solid exited 12 jugs. This is the kicker: The Glock 17L with extended ported barrel with Double Tap 147 gr. +P jacked solid penetrated into the 12th. jug. Now how many shooters have claimed a 9MM or 10MM is not enough power for dangerous game? Personally I don't carry my Glock 17L while black bear hunting but I think it is worth a thought with the right bullet. I am also aware that crushing bone is a different story.

250_solid.jpg

Now that's funny, if you go on a DG hunt bring a video cam and a friend to bring it back so we can see it :D

9mm is fine for hunting water jugs and it will kill deer, If your not a bow hunter bring a blood dog.

Handgun ammo has come a long way. Defense against wild animals is a cool subject, but happens so infrequently what's best will never be conclusively proven. I think BYU just published a study giving pepper spray the nod for best against bears. I don't think you are advocating the 9mm be used on bears, just putting it out there for conversation. If I'm not packing a rifle, I generally have my 9mm loaded with 147 gr Ranger +P+. I worry less about bears than I do some of the folks I encounter when I'm out.
My recollection is North Carolina has produced some truly giant bears, just something to factor in.

I hunt a lot in the mtns. of NC. I have 1500 acres leased now for 2 years and have seen bear sign but have not run across one. And it depends on the section I hunt as to which gun I carry. If I am in more open forest and I am primarily hunting whitetails I carry my M17L. If I am in very thick areas and more bear prone I carry my WinMag. My 17L shoots most ammo about 150 fps faster than a M17 and the CorBons come apart at that velocity. I am looking for a bonded 147gr. for it.

All_WinMag_ammo2.jpg

Before you jump off the deep end look at results. There are varied thoughts on what it takes to kill large game. A great thought is deep penetration with hard core or solids for defense and dangerous game. There is also a thought of explosive impact of core bonded and partition bullets. I have been testing many type bullets in my 45 WinMag and my Glock 17L with ported entended barrel which gives me great velocities.

We have been setting up 12 one gallon oil cans filled with water. Most of the shots with either 225 or 250 gr. bullets either Barnes or Hornady. The 35 Remington, 350 RemMag and 35 Whelen bullets penetrated mostly 6 to 8 jugs. Handgun bullets mostly 5 to 7 jugs. The suprising outcome was the 45 WinMag with a hot load of 250 gr. jacketed solid exited 12 jugs. This is the kicker: The Glock 17L with extended ported barrel with Double Tap 147 gr. +P jacked solid penetrated into the 12th. jug. Now how many shooters have claimed a 9MM or 10MM is not enough power for dangerous game? Personally I don't carry my Glock 17L while black bear hunting but I think it is worth a thought with the right bullet. I am also aware that crushing bone is a different story.

250_solid.jpg

150 grain wide meplat

9MM-meplat.jpg

I camp out for months at a time in bear country while elk hunting and always have fresh meat and food in camp and have both a 460S&W and a Glock 34. Last bow season I got bored during mid day and got to goofing around with the Glock and some +p loads.

here is the video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69cc3igN7OU]G34vsASPEN.m2ts - YouTube[/ame]

I don't give up on the 9mm. i have a G26 i carry. im confident wtih 147gr FMJ rounds that it will penetrate if needed. especially with 12 rds on had. i've done my testing with a .357 sig and i was astonished! the 9mm can do wonders.

but...im a true 10mm fan at heart. thats my true carry gun wtih 200gr FMJ and 15+1 is hard to beat in a G20!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.