95 gr VLDs for .243 1 in 9.125" Twist

scsims

Will my Remington 700 VLS .243 stabilize the 95gr VLD bullets? It's a 1 in 9.125" twist and Berger recommends a 1 in 9" twist.

I think that you will be just fine. I have had a couple of rifles in 10 twist that have shoot them just fine. The farthest that I have shot them is 400 yards. Another bullet that shoots quite well in a 10 twist is the Hornady 87 gr. VMAX. Factory barrels may not be exactly 9.125 : 1 twist. However a little one way or the other will be ok for you. Having said that the only way is to shoot it. If I had to bet on it without shooting, I would suggest the 87's.

My savage with that twist didn't like them. Had to go with the 87gr VLD's and it loves them. Your right on the edge though, so you'll have to just try em. But the 87s across the board seem to really shoot well with .243s that have that 9 to 9 1/2 twist.

I have read about the 95 gr VLD on several forums and the 10" twist.
Many knowledgeable posters have said it does not work, and many knowledgeable have said it does.
It is like the Kennedy assassination and conspiracy theories. The story is not converging to a single point of view over time.

But with 9.25" twist, I would think you are going to make it.

It may or may not work in the 1 in 9.25"of twist, like I said it's right on the fringe. Berger suggest a 1 in 9" of twist, and that's the slowest they recommend for the 95gr. The heavier the bullet the faster the twist. Thats why a lot of 87gr bullets work in the 9"and 9 1/2" twist .243 barrels, which Berger suggest a 1 in 10" twist. I've found bullets shoot better out of my guns when the barrels twist rate is a touch faster than the bullet recommended twist. Plus twist rate seems to be more critical when we're talking about bullets on the heavier side of a particular cartridge.

That's part of experiment we call hand loading. Although it can be frustrating with all the trial and error, it's also part of the fun. Every time I go to the range with a new load it's like Xmas morning.

I tested the 95gr bergers yesterday. I was happy with the 100 yard results. I had 2 groups under .5".

Next step is to load the 2 good groups again and test at 200 yards, if I get good results there I think I'll be in business.

83176A08-3417-4501-A1D3-D3A7A3590C26-450-0000010D6AF9A018.jpg

Yes, they will. My brother-in-law and I just dedveloped a load for his .243 Rem. (same twist) and they shot really well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts