8x57 JS loads

8x57JS

I am looking for some 8x57 loads using heavy bullets such as the 185 Remington Core-Lokt's. Loads using the 200 grainers are going to be used. Thanks,John :)

8x57JS,
I have reloaded for my neighbor using the 185gr Rem Core-Lokts in htis caliber. I had never loaded for the case before so I used the accuracy/hunting load recommendation out of the latest Sierra loading manuals. They recommended IMR4064 powder so that is where I started. I never had to try another powder because it shot so good.

Work up your load using standard loading/pressure practices but here is the compenents we ended up using for very good accuracy:

IMR4064 (about 2 grs under max)
Win LR primers
Remington Cases
185gr Rem C-L bullets
FL resized
Seating depth was into the lands approx .005" so the bullet wouldn't stick in the lands when pulled back out of the chamber. Be careful with this. With the more blunt nose on the Core-Lokt bullets it doesn't take much to have them stick.

FYI: The recommended accuracy/hunting loads in the Sierra manuals are usually a really good place to start. I've seen them work in more than 1 more caliber and bullet weight.

Steve

One thing to be aware of with that 185 Remington 8mm bullet is that it was made for 8mm Rem. Mag velocities and it will not open up very much at 8mm Mauser velocities. It is fine for punching paper but for use on game I would go with the 180 Nosler ballistic tips or 175 Sierra or for deer size game the 150's from Sierra or Hornady or Speer are the ticket. IMR 4064 and Varget are too very good powders with this caliber. I second the statement about the Sierra accuracy loads.

One thing to be aware of with that 185 Remington 8mm bullet is that it was made for 8mm Rem. Mag velocities and it will not open up very much at 8mm Mauser velocities. It is fine for punching paper but for use on game I would go with the 180 Nosler ballistic tips or 175 Sierra or for deer size game the 150's from Sierra or Hornady or Speer are the ticket. IMR 4064 and Varget are too very good powders with this caliber. I second the statement about the Sierra accuracy loads.​

I just got off the phone with Mark Johnson at Remington, he says the 185 Rem Core-Lokt bullets will open up as low as 2000 fps. The factory 8x57 loads of 150 Core-Lokt's are runing 2350 fps,he said even these loads are opening up at 200 yards. I told him I'm getting 2582 fps with the 185's and he said I can drop game at 300 yds and still have them mushroom at that distance. Good stuff to know........

Bringing an old thread, deep out of the crypt. I am loading for a sporterized 8x57. Seems like the 185 Corlockt is discontinued. Anyone have good loads for the 150/175 Sierra? Primary focus is whitetail and mule deer.

Thanks in advance. đź‘‹

You may want also to try the Hornady 170 SST with CF223. I will have to look it up the exact charge , but it is accurate and I get 2800 fps with a 24 inch barrel on a Mauser 98. I have used the Sierra and Hornady om Whtetails and Muley's with good success.

My husqvarna m98 in 8x57 so far likes the 196 grain ppu soft point (component bullets, very well made) over a near full case of cfe 223 (forget the charge, practice due diligence for yourself obviously). Reformed 30-06 brass. CCI large rifle primers. Lightly crimped.

2550 fps.

Recent Posts