80gr berger vld in 1-9 twist

Nick B

Has anyone used the 80gr berger vld in a 1-9 twist barrel with 223 velocity? I think they will be going about 2750-2800fps.Will they stabilize? Any input would be helpful.Thanks.

Nick,

A 1:7 or 1:8 is usually recommended. A 9 twist is very iffy. I shoot Berger 70 & 80 VLDs through a 1:7.8" Obermeyer & the 80s do well at 5-600.

I have a 1-10 22-250 Ai that would not shoot the 80gr Bergers but would shoot the MatchKings , the Bergers had large groups at 200yds and keyholed at 300.
I had to settle for the 75gr Bergers but found the 75gr A-max to shoot he best of the bunch. Your gun may be differant.

If you give Berger a call I'm sure that they'll send you a dozen or so to try.

Thanks for your input guys. Sounds like I better take a look at the 70gr Bergers. Just trying to shoot 1K without going below the sound barrier on cold wet days. Been going through the paper sideways. The 68gr hornady's work great in the summer heat, any suggestions on what bullet will do it when temps are below freezing.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.