22-250AI 1 in 8 twist or 1 in 9 twist

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Iron Worker, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Current BBL is a Wilson 1 in 14 twist(22-250AI) I want to shoot 55 to 75 gr Bullets. I've been told that a 1 in 8 twist is the way to go. Contacted 1st class cut rifles BBL maker who says a 1in 9 twist is the way to go. What should I do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

I've seen several 1-9's that would shoot the 75gr A-max with no problems and I've seen 1-9's that woulden't stabilize them no matter how hard you pushed them.
    I personaly would use a 1-8 that way theirs no doubt. The differance in velocity and fouling between the 1-8 and 1-9 is not going to be noticable. And if you ever want to try a little heavier bullet then it'll be no problem.
    If they are the same cost why not play it safe?

3. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Either one will work great, I suspect the 1-9 would be plenty at the velocity level you will get with the 22-250 AI but it never hurts to have a bit more twist then needed as long as it does not tear apart the bullets.

Personally, If I were only shooting up to the 75 gr pills, I would go the 1-9 way because that would give you the best chance to shoot conventional 55 gr pills without dusting them.

One bit of advice I would recommend, get a 6 groove barrel over a 3 or 4 groove. Yes the 3 or 4 groove will last longer but they are also much harder on heavy VLD type bullets in fast twist barrels. The 6 groove barrels will offer much more velocity with these bullets without bullet failure in most cases.

Kirby Allen(50)

4. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill Well-Known Member

Hi i have one with a 1 in 7 but it smokes the A Max's the 8 twists are fine and they will also stabalise the 80gr Sierra and A Max aswell as the 90gr Sierra MatchKings. I have also used the 55gr Sierra Blitz Kings in the 7 twist no problem at all.

Cheers Bill
    Australia