8"twist 22-250

Iron Worker

35grs of Varget produces less that 1/2 moa with 60gr V-Max out of a 8"twist 26"brux bbl. I then loaded 38grs of H414 behind Sierra's new green tip 69gr bullet. Shot 5 shots 4 shots into 3/4MOA but then one flyer opening group up to 1 1/4 MOA. Any suggestions ?

I have generally had better results using mag primers with ball powders. That may be worth a try.

Last summer, I did extensive load work with six different bullets and two different powders in my .223/5.56mm. For most of what I was doing, I limited myself to AR-15 mag length because I was working up loads intended to work in several rifles. Without being able to tune for seating depth, I experienced high SD's and ES's with both the 69 TMK and 69 SMK. The other four bullets did much better.

I had better results with the 69 SMK in my 22-250, but I wasn't dealing with mag length restrictions and started my load development with seating depth testing. I had good results with both Superformance and RL-17. RL-17 was a bit faster and was more accurate.

My 22-250 doesn't have the twist to make the TMK's work. They all hit the target sideways. You have plenty of twist for those bullets, though. My advice is to adjust seating depth first, try mag primers second, and try a different powder if the first two options don't do the trick.

I don't have many rules for myself in reloading but the one rule I do have is that I never use ball powder in any rifle I use for hunting in changing temperatures..my only rule for myself. I've had some bad experiences with H-380 and WW 748...in my 6mm and 22/250 rem...I use both for long range groundhog matches 100-300-500 yards under bench rest competition, the shoots start in April -October with temperatures from 30-100 degrees, using those two powders produced amazing groups BUT they moved around with as little as 5 degrees of temp change..it drove me crazy..I just changed powder and never had another issue with either..no ball powders for me other than to make noise in my AR's going ratty tat tat...

is there a reason that load should shoot better? And a reason you decided to only shoot one group?

maybe 37.5 or 38.5, perhaps 37, different primer, different underwear, perhaps new tires on the truck...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.