8.5-25x50mm Mark 4 w/TMR & McMillan A5

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I finally got some trigger time behind my 300 RUM with the Mark 4 mounted and the A5 stock on it.

I have shot several 300 RUMs with factory stocks and the same brake I have on this one. The A5 seems to have taken the jump out it. A friend of mine has a Savage 116FSS and the muzzle jump is significantly more on his gun than mine now. Before the A5 was installed, I could not tell any difference between the two guns or any of the others I had shot. Infact, I got clipped by the scope about a week before the stock came in. I can now shoot the gun with one hand on 25X and not have to worry about stitches. Even without the impovement in muzzle jump the feel of the stock is enough to make me want another. If I could afford it, I would have one on everything gun I own.

Here are some pics of the rig.
Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

My dog managed to get in the frame on this one.

Now for the scope. It is mounted on a Near 20 MOA base w/Mark 4 rings. I can't go into alot of detail like repeatability and durability just yet. All I can say is that after dailing for prairie dogs @ 600 + yards and then returning to zero I was still able to explode the little suckers @ close range. I can also say that optically, it may well be the best scope I have owned. I have had several Zeiss Conquests and beleived that they were brighter, clearer and sharper than the Leupolds. I can't say that now. My buddy has a 6.5-20x50mm Conquest on his RUM and I got a chance to look through both of them side by side. If there is any difference in optical quality it is very hard say which is better. I think I'll have to give the nod to the Leupold. That may be just because it's mine though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The TMR reticle is now my favorite. I wasn't sure about the small void in the center, but after shooting it, wish all my scopes had this feature. When shooting @ prairie dogs @ over 600 yards, it was nice to be able to see what you were shooting @. My .243 has a VariX III 4.5-14x50mm target dot on it and it covers a target this small.

I didn't use the mils for holdover or windage on this trip but plan to so on paper in the future. They will without a doubt prove to be much more precise than a standard mildot. My plan when I purchased this scope was to dial for elevation and use the horizontal lines for windage holds. Hopefully with a little practice I can master this technique.

Here are some pics of the scope. I know several people have had questions about this reticle. I hope these pics will help to clear up some of these questions.

Picture004.jpg
I got this scope through Leupold's Gold Ring Program so they engraved this on it. Kinda neat, but makes it impossible to sell it.

Picture006.jpg
Here's the reticle. Not to fine, not to heavy. I think it is just right. I tried to resize it but the reticle wasn't nearly as clear on the smaller pic.

Hope someone finds this useful. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

B.J.

Kirby,

No, it's not a FFP. To be honest, I haven't studied my mils enough to know the MOAs. All I can tell you is that the large stadia are 1 mil marks with half mils inbetween. The mils on the edges are broken down into 1/4s. The only thing thing that sucks about this is the fact that it has to be on 25X to use it.

I think this reticle in a 4.5-14 would make a much more practicle hunting scope. Infact, this scope will be going on my 270 AM for extreme range work and I will be getting a 4.5-14x50mm Mark 4 w/the same reticle to go on this gun. I'll use this gun if my shot is not going to be more than 500 yds and the 270 if my stand location could offer a longer shot.

B.J.

Hey Bill ,
I'm very happy with the one you got me as well! The reticle has a ton of options . Chris Matthews is currently working on My rem. 300 winnie(a5 stock) and thats what I will be putting mine on.I've been sitting down every day and commiting all the features to memory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifAfter nI have had a chance to shoot this new rig I will post results.
Jim

Bill,
Thanks for the post. I had a lot of questions about that reticle. I'll shoot you an email for a price quote. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some pics of the scope....Here's the reticle. Not to fine, not to heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Say Bill, any chance you could reload those pics or something? Thanks.

Yes.. please repost these pictures.. but with the 4,5-14x50 Mark IV scope on top. I have been looking like crazy for some pictures of this scope on a rifle. A god side profile would be nice. Need to see what clearance there is between the barrel and objective.

I'll post some new picks of both of my rifles and the reticles tomorrow. We're going to have a house full today, so I doubt if I'll get a chance today.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.