7x57 Mauser

highfinblue

I bought a CZ 600 I believe 30 plus years ago cambered in 7x57 Mauser, it has sat in my safe all these years as I bought it for my oldest son. He's way more interested in golf than shooting so that rifle has just sat there. A young man I know asked if he could borrow a rifle to take his son hunting and I told him I thought I had something that would work. I took the rifle out and found a few rounds I'd loaded years ago, sat at my bench and was impressed at how easy it was to shoot small groups out to 250 yard. I guess my point is, isn't it amazing a cartridge well over 100 years old is still absolutely effective after all that time. I've owned a couple rifles chambered in the 7mm Mauser, and both were incredible game takers. I know I'm old and probably getting nostalgic, but the old timers were pretty impressive if you ask me.

ON a long action, a 280 remington is preferable. We have been shooting a load right out of the Nosler manual #3 for years
160g at 2930 fps, IMR 7828, Fed 210 primer. Run the numbers, it is impressive when you consider a 162g ELD or Berger 168. I, brothers, cousins shoot the Nosler accuracy load for the 160g with IMR 7828, no need to change with the supurb accuracy and speed.

I shot 140s and 154s in my Husky(1920's)7x57 with supurb accuracy.

Consider these comparables:
7mm's
7x47 lapua is like a 410 ga
7/08 is like the smaller 20 ga
7x57 is like the 16ga
280 Rem is like a 12 ga
7 Rem mag is like the 12ga with 3" magnums

with proper shot placement, they will all get the job done. Due to Pumps and Semi-Autos on the market, reloading manuals kill off the 280 Remington, consult the Nosler manual #3. The same could be said for the 7x57 due to old Mausers.

Last edited:
Always had a fascination for this cartridge, starting with a cut up Spanish Mauser I bought my freshman year of college for $79. I love my 700 classic 7x57 so much I put one together for my soon to be born son. Love the efficiency and it kills outside its weight class. My old "original" classic spits out 140 grain blem partitions over RL16 into tiny groups, every time. Have watched many deer and some pronghorn go down through the old leupold 6x42 it wears. Hanks rifle is getting a load worked up with the hammer hhts while I wait for his entrance.

The other one I had, my youngest son received it at his graduation from college, is built on a Remington 700 long action left hand. A guy had it built out in Oregon. Superb rifle, I took whitetail with it out to almost 500 yards shooting Sierra BTSP 140 grain bullets ahead of 50 grains of IMR 4350. The smith that built in in Oregon had done some nice work on that trigger, super crisp break and it made that rifle so easy to shoot. Tad heavy, but that helps me when I'm settling in on a longer shot.

Bought an Argentine mauser😉 from a pawn shop years ago fer cheap to make a 7mauser out of. Problem was I bought a box of ammo just to see, I'll be danged if that old 1918 Sweede didnt shoot just fine.
Still dont have a 7 but have a couple 6.5s.
All these new wisbang cartridges doing what the old timers have been getting done for years. They may give you a slight edge over the old timers but it aint as much as they make out.

Bought an Argentine mauser😉 from a pawn shop years ago fer cheap to make a 7mauser out of. Problem was I bought a box of ammo just to see, I'll be danged if that old 1918 Sweede didnt shoot just fine.
Still dont have a 7 but have a couple 6.5s.
All these new wisbang cartridges doing what the old timers have been getting done for years. They may give you a slight edge over the old timers but it aint as much as they make out.
I can't remember what the velocity of that Remington custom was, but I had no trouble hitting critters way past 400 yards, and if I knew then what I know now maybe further. First time someone told me they could shoot past 300 I called them a liar. I remember when 3" at 100 was considered hunting accuracy, but both 7x57's I have owned did way better than that.

Recent Posts