7mm Mauser 7x57

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by ZIMM, Nov 8, 2007.

1. ZIMM

ZIMM Well-Known Member

I have an opportunity to buy a 7mm Mauser 7x57 for decent price for my wife. What are the pro's & con's of this caliber? Also, what kind of optics should I expect to purchase for this gun? Thanks in advanced!
    Z

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

The 7x57 is a great little round , I had one that I set the barrel back and rechambered to 7x57 Ackley , that little gun accounted for alot of game and still does as it has been passed down .

Ballisticaly it rought their with a 7-08 with factory ammo and it can be loaded up a good bit faster than whats offered from the factory. The cons would be that the case has a bit of taper so it will need to be trimmed a little more often but al in all its a great round.
    As for the optics that depends on what and where she's hunting and what kind of ranges. Generaly speeking the good old 3-9 will cover the vast majority of all big game hunting out to 600yds pretty well , for smaller targets like praire dogs you migh want a little more power. If the hunting is gonna be in low light mostly a good fixed power will generaly be brighter as their are less lenses in the fixed power scopes.

3. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Well-Known Member

7x57 was my first deer rifle back in 82. My dad built it for me and I still use it today. This weekend it is headed to MO. for a back up for my dad. His first rifle is also a 7x57 that he built in the late 80's. Great caliber, great heritage, excellent performance, low recoil and most of the time will shoot to moa. I can't say enough about this round its just a good all around cartridge for anyone who is'nt stuck on a magnum. Buy it and never look back. 3-9 will do this cartridge well.

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

No cons whatever on that cartridge. I heard once the 7x57 was the 30-30 of the world.

40 years ago when I had mine all that was available was that 170gr round nose bullet. It accounted for a few whitetails and wood chucks.

The world has progressed a bunch since then.

You'll love the cartridge. So will your wife, if she can pry it out of your hands.;)

5. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

Jack O'Connor's wife successfully hunted the world for 40 yrs with Jack and her 7x57.

Nuff said.

6. ZIMM

ZIMM Well-Known Member

I purchased the sporterized 7x57 Mauser for my wife for 100 bucks. Bought a 4x16x40 scope for it and took her out to the range. I zeroed it in at 200 yards. My wife has literally shot two times ever. First group of three was less then two inches @ 200 yards. I then proceeded to shoot my group of three ewwww WIND DRIFT ;) We walked down to check our targets and she said wow I'm terrible, I laughed and told her that was my target she was looking at and hers was the other one. Her response to me, you better practice!

7. ZIMM

ZIMM Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any recomendations on getting the trigger worked on? :)

8. keithcatfish

keithcatfish Active Member

Since you say its sporterized, I assume its built on a Mauser 98 action. Just get a Timney trigger; cheap, easily installed and adjusted and fine for hunting (its not a benchrest trigger). I have one on my rebarreled 308 Mauser and like it.

9. ZIMM

ZIMM Well-Known Member

THANKS, thats what I'm looking for. Its going to be a great gun for my wife to use for deer hunting, its in great shape:)
    Z

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007