7wsm vs. 280 AI

grit

Are these two ballistic twins? I was all set to build a 7wsm when I mentioned I like to be able to top feed... Anyway, smith suggested looking at the 280 AI as it didn't have the feed issues the 7wsm has.

Can someone give me some info? Velocities for the 280 AI with 168 and 180 bergers, case dimensions and pwder capacity for the 280AI, opinions on pros and cons of the two rounds... Oh, I'll most likely be using the nosler custom brass.

I've run a couple searches without much success. I'll keep at it.

Thanks for the help.

Don't take this wrong what action are you using? The 280AI needs a longer action than the WSM bolt faces is different,followers etc. Hodgdon site has loading data for the 280AI.

Sierra's reloading manual gives data on both 280 AI with 26" barrel and 7wsm with 24" barrel.

For 168gr bullets both have max velocities of 2900fps but the 7wsm could do it with 7 different powders and the 280 AI with only two different powders.

There's not data for 180gr but on 175's the 7wsm max was 2850fps and the 280 AI was 2800fps, were the barrel lengths the same, the results would be slightly different. I was told by one smith that on a 7wsm for velocity go with 26.5" barrel, no longer. They're both great cartridges, I plan on building a 7wsm in the near future. Looks like the 7wsm uses about 9gr more powder in general.

I just started playing with my .280 Ackley this fall. 25" barrel 1:10 twist.
The first load I tried was the 168 Bergers w/ Hodgdon powder, not a hot load at all and shot 2800 fps, and .3 - .4" group at 200 yards. Shot 4 deer this fall with it and was very impressed with the Bergers.
I am planning on doing some more experimenting in the next couple of months.

I Am Shooting A Remington Action And 28 Inch Broughton Barrel Chambered In 7mm Wsm. I Am Shooing The 168 Bergers And Have Shot The 180 Bergers. My Load Right Now Has The 168 Bergers At 3075 Fps. I Had The Load Safely Over 3100 But Accuracy Was Less. The 280ai Is Closer To The 7mm Rm. Its A Good Caliber But The 7mm Wsm Has A Little Mare In It...

Thanks for the info and the links guys. I've got a handle on the 280AI now.

tj,
What action and what magazine? The story is I need a long action and the HS center feed mag. Only problem is I much prefer to be able to top load.

i was going through the same thing. i built my short mag on a 700 long action that way i didnt need to worry about bullet seating depth. i installed the hs detachable mag. you can single load the action. to solve my problem of putting shells back in the mag i just bought 2 mags and i switch them. i am so glad that i went wih this over a 7mm rm or a 280 ai. thats just my opinion. this particular gun took deer this year out to 889 yards. if you want to see mine its in the gun photos, look for 7mmwsm biult by ssg. since these photos i switch to a 6.5 x 20 mark 4. SSG just finished my new gun you can see taht one too. its under thanks for the help 6x47 lapua built by ssg. if you are having this gun built for you. ssg has built multiple wsm he does great work.

Tough choice

Either the 7WSM or the 280 AI would make a great LR rifle. The short action on the WSM is an advantage for some folks, but personal preference comes into play. I've ownwd both and you'll be happy with either, but the WSM is a little faster and more flexible. Good luck!

Nathan @ SSG is building a 280 AI ,im going w/a 28" 5 C broughton on a rem 700 adl.

The wsm will have a noticeable performance edge on the 280 ai ,the 280 gibbs [the most maxed out cartridge for the 06' case] is the ballistic twin of the 7mm saum.
Either cartridge will make a great longrange deer rifle.
I'm hoping to get 3050fps out of the 162gr Amax ,and have been told it will do that.
28" broughton barrel ,lapua brass should put the 280 ai real close to the factory load 7 wsm w/ 24" barrel.

I'm hoping to get 3050fps out of the 162gr Amax

Oddly enough, that is the same velocity I get with the 162gr A-Max from my 7 STW with 25" Hart barrel. It is not a particularely hot load for the 7 StW but my rifle is very accurate at that velocity with the A-Max.

!62gr A-Max at 3,050 ft/sec proved to be brutal on whitetails. :>)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.