7saum

Crowe284

Having GA Precision build me a 7saum. I'm wanting to shoot the Berger 195 EOL and going to have chamber throated for this bullet. I'm thinking that H-1000 would be a good powder for this combination and was wandering if anyone was running this combination and had load data and results they would like to share.

Thanks,
Crowe

Re: Anybody shooting 195 EOL in 7SAUM w/ H-1000?

Can't help with the 195's, but my 7 SAUM runs a 180 hybrid to 2900 with a compressed load of Retumbo.

I don't have enough twist for the 195's or I would have experimented with them . Good luck.

Yeah, I have not been able to find squat when it comes to people with experience with this combination....I think it would be wicked. If you could get the 195 to 2800 fps the ballistics are wicked with the BC of that bullet and efficiency of the cartridge. If you got to 2800 fps you would be looking at around 1350 ft lbs of energy at 1K with probably a low 60's (62-63?gr.) powder charge. I think that kicks ***. So anxious to hear from someone who had been there and don't that. I was originally thinking of just running the 180 but after looking at the ballistics I changed my mind...and...the 195's look like little spears, so cool factor is definitely there!

played a little with RL-26 and the 195. 2780 fps 26 inch barrel just over 3.100 OAL it was a little warm brass would be happier 2700-2750.

If the 195's don't meet your expectations, "settling" for the 180 is still going to be a great combination in a 7 SAUM. I have one now and will build another based on the 180 hybrids. I'm a believer in moderate velocity combined with a pile of B.C. , 7 SAUM deliveres what I need .

****...2800 may not be achievable then in a 26" tube...especially with H-1000. No experience myself with 26 but buddy had high velocities with it in an stw compared to 1000..... Hmmm...might be a wash or real close in the saum between the 195 and 180.

180 VLD at 2900= 1167 ft lbs @ 1K , -7.2 mil w/100 yd 0
195 EOL AT 2750 = 1291 ft lbs @ 1k, -7.7 mil w/100yd 0
My current DA

Is it worth it to throat for 195?? It's looong. If it didn't shoot might be tough to reach lands w/ 180...Conundrum, surely someone has been down this road...??...

Short or long action? Are you willing to carry a longer barrel? There's a ton of questions to ask yourself

If the 195's don't meet your expectations, "settling" for the 180 is still going to be a great combination in a 7 SAUM. I have one now and will build another based on the 180 hybrids. I'm a believer in moderate velocity combined with a pile of B.C. , 7 SAUM deliveres what I need .

I hear you, I believe in same thing. Want moderate velocity and pressure and long brass and barrel life. Dead is dead. Maybe 180 is better choice and can still play with 195 with my 8.24 twist....

Short or long action? Are you willing to carry a longer barrel? There's a ton of questions to ask yourself

That part is done. Being built on stiller Predator long action and proof research 8.24 twist that will finish at 26" with gen 2 lil bstrd.

With that combination, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Your twist rate will probably be good depending on your altitude. One thing people don't consider is that a 338 Lapua is a combination of moderate velocity and great bullets.

Several smaller rounds deliver a similar effect , albeit on a smaller scale. I'm pretty convinced that the theory is sound .

With that combination, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Your twist rate will probably be good depending on your altitude. One thing people don't consider is that a 338 Lapua is a combination of moderate velocity and great bullets.

Several smaller rounds deliver a similar effect , albeit on a smaller scale. I'm pretty convinced that the theory is sound .

I hear you and agree 100%. If you had my action and barrel, what are you gonna do?? :)

If I had your setup, I would go straight to Retumbo because it performs best in mine. H1000 works well but is not the top performer .

If it were mine, I'd also reconsider the brake if you haven't spent the money yet . I use Nathan Wright , Muzzle Brakes and More .com . Better braking than most , quick turnaround and custom all the way .

I've always had better ES with H-1000 in cartridges where I have tried both it and retumbo. What type of ES are you seeing? I'm extremely OCD about ES and vertical. Currently loads in long range rigs are single digit or a gnats *** over and produce max 2.5" of vertical at 1k. As for the brake, it's splitting hairs in my openion....the gen 2 does all I need. I was talking more about bullet choice and throating if you had my set up.

If you're serious about the 195's, by all means have it throated for them. I'm getting 7-12 ES with Retumbo in several cartridges, it works very well for me in cartridges that most wouldn't consider using it in .

Definitely use the H1000 during load development, it may prove to be the best choice. If not , don't be concerned about using others .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts