7saum Build

Nice going! I'm putting together a 7 SAUM as well. Slightly different path though. Mine is going to be a lightweight carrying rifle. Based off a Model 7 7 SAUM it should go under 7 lb with a scope.
Factory Model 7 barrel fluted, lightweight firing pin and fluted bolt. Will have a radial muzzle brake. Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 scope in Talley lightweight rings.
I've nearly finished the carbon fibre stock, should come in at 16-17oz. The stock is a copy of the factory Model 7 stock.

Stu.

Cool, post a pic of the stock, or even your process, always interested. Would love to spend a day in mcmillian or manners shop!! I have a f class stock in the works, actually just building a male mold, then cut the stock from the mold, should work good, and not a lot of time molding

Anyway, couple pics, first the adjustable cheek piece, couple set screws and plate, very simple, light too. then the ptg bottom metal, a widden v block is in the stock, caused issues with bottom metal, simple solution was to cut the mag, dont have a mill. Anyway, will work good, but did kill resale value, but thats okay, this is a rifle I'll have forever, just rebarrel as I need to..

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 108
To clarify too, I would have never cut a flush box! But since these are extended, it has plenty of meat left to keep mag from working back and forth. Good solution for those HS stocks. Heard these are a bugger to fit with the aluminum bedding block,,,,,,,just cut them.

OAL max is 2.87. Kind of bummed, but after searching saw where I can inlet on the feed ramp.

Nice. I'd love to get to showing off the carbon. My vacuum is only pulling 16 inches so I'm getting some holidays and areas of excess epoxy. Oh well. Ill keep painting them! But love to see final product. Great when you complete them. Started with fabric and epoxy. Final product gives some satisfaction. Yours look great!

You need to make a female mold to get the best surface finish. Takes a bit more work because you need the plug to make the mold from. I've made about 45 stocks now so have a bit of practise. The carbon finish certainly looks good and that is what the customers want.

Heck of a nice stick.

Above, talking about molds, my first stocks used a female mold. Works awsome, wish I would have taken the time to make a fiberglass mold of the stock above...instead I used a plaster mold which at the end of the day was sacrificial. What I am going to "try" is a one off from a male mold then cut the stock off the mold. I have a prone type stock I'm going to try this route, very little form to it, we will see. Saves me 10 hours or so building a mold,

Again, nice rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.