7rum....thinking of changing...

Yep...been considering getting rid of the
7rum, 7wsm and or the 280ai...and accessories...
Maybe putting some funds into something else....

26Reload, you should be getting 3600-3750 ft/sec out of your 7RUM with a 168 grain bullet. Something just doesn't seem quite right with your number.

3600-3750fps with a 168 berger in a 7rum?? NO SIR, You would be smoking brass in one firing and blowing yourself up I don't have quick load but that's got to be 75K psi.
Should be at about 3100-3200fps on the high node. maybe 3600-3700fps with a 120gr BT

I don't believe I want to see an animal hit with a bullet at 36-3700fps......that would be serious carnage...
I could believe 31-3200fps...but just didn't get there with the 168lrab and rl33...and I know the 7wsm can get there or close enough for me....not a speed freak...
Have find my paperwork on the 7wsm..to confirm...but sure its over 3000fps where I ended load work a couple years ago...

my 7 rum runs the 168 brger at 3300 with 94 grains of retumbo and 9.5 primer. 3.670 COAL 26 inch sendero factory barrel great brass life
My 7 wsm shoots the 168 3084 with 68.5 grains of R25 but it is a .168 FB chamber for long loads thru a 28 in 4 groove Krieger

Last edited:
Its definitely not a speed demon load....little rock at 777 yards said it was pretty accurate....
TwoMore....Can't imagine an animal being hit with a 168 lrab looks very pretty after 3300fps....especially anywhere under 1000 yards...might as well shoot it at 100 with a hollow point...
The reason I dropped back to 91gr was my hat brims were getting ripped apart by the scope.....lots of jump with the sporters liteweight barrel....

Last edited:
Yea a LRAB up close with that thin jacket would be a bomb lol I shoot the 168 vld it has a lil thicker jacket and does pretty good, I thought about 180s thru it but the 168 has a bit less recoils and is a bit flatter for that rifles use, I dont shoot that one much any more. I like my wsm more. it is on a long action because I load it long but it flat out will shoot small groups at long range and with a brake on it, I watch the bullet hit :)
wsm1.JPG

If you're not wanting to go up in cal. then I think selling it would be an option.

I know you're not wanting to go up but you may want to think about the 300 Norma. It will sling a 215 grainer at 3k and brass is made by Lapua.

You could have your action trued then add a barrel and be in business.

I had a 7RUM, it didn't shoot well with a multitude of powders and bullets. Got lucky and sold it for what I had in it. Perhaps too much powder for that size pill. I'm very happy with the 7mm Remington I have now. Good luck

I would recommend the 28 Nosler. Same bolt face, based of the same parent case. 80.5 grains of Retumbo behind a 180 Berger Hybrid is running 3190 fps for me out of a 26" tube. Would be an easy swap and seems to be a high performer so far.

I have a buddy asking around if any of his buddies may be in need of such a critter....
Just seems a waste of a nice clean rifle...
Got to remember mag box lenght max at 3.700"...for whatever caliber it can be changed to....

.........you're covered man
I'd just sell the RUM.........

If you're not wishing to go up, you've covered the middle, the only way is down. Selling it leaves you to choose without stressing over the bolt face. At least cut it loose mentally, and decide what you really want.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.