7RM to 7STW cleanup complete?

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
Have just purchased a Rem 700 Sendero II in 7RM, have never liked this, or any 7mm, in the past.
I would like to know if a 7STW reamer will completely cleanup a RM chamber without removing threads and altering barrel shoulders.
I will be setting this rifle up as a switch barrel.

Cheers.

The 7mm STW is long enough to clean up the front end of a 7mm Rem chamber. Completely cleaning up the body of the chamber is dependent on the actual size of the current chamber and the actual size of the reamer you will use to re-chamber. You will likely end up with a useable chamber that has some traces of the original.

I'd have to set back a 1/2 to full turn, just to make sure I was leaving no 'shadows' of the 7 mag chamber. I don't like to have to go back and fix something that didn't work out as planned the firt time.

Ok, thanks all, a setback to one full turn is good insurance it appears. Have already obtained the second barrel and new .250" recoil lug. Just have to pull this barrel and buy a STW reamer.
Who do you suggest for reamers, I normally use JGS.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.