338 edge cleanup in a ultra

338 LEGEND

Does anyone know if a 338 edge tight neck reamer will clean up in a 338 ultra chamber or do you have to set the barrel back?

Does anyone know if a 338 edge tight neck reamer will clean up in a 338 ultra chamber or do you have to set the barrel back?

To get the benefit of the tight neck, you'll have to set the barrel back.

Other than that, it's possible to simply use a 338 RUM chamber reamer run in the extra depth to create the 338 Edge Chamber. But if you're looking for the neck to be smaller diameter than the existing chamber neck, then you'll have to set the barrel back enough to get the neck portion of the tight-necked reamer into virgin bore.

I calculate a minimum of 0.226", based on the case dimensions I found in Patagonia Ballistics LoadBase 2.0 Library. The exact measurement would likely be a little greater because many chambers have some additional neck cut into them, above and beyond the minimum SAAMI required in order to accomodate some excess overall case length.

I get a case neck length of 0.306" for the 338 Edge. And a maximum case length of 2.850" for the Edge, and 2.770 for the 338 RUM. The longer 338 Edge case length will get you 2.850-2.770 (0.080") into fresh throat of the 338 RUM chamber. But you'll still need 0.306 - 0.080= 0.226" of additional fresh bore for the remainder of the 338 Edge neck length, which will only be obtained by setting the barrel back that distance. And on top of that, whatever additional neck was reamed into your specific 338 RUM chamber, above and beyond the minimum SAAMI requirement.

I see you've posted in the Gunsmithing section. Just to let you know, I am not a gunsmith. Hopefully one or more of them will sound in. If you're serious about this, I think I'd talk to the smith you're planning to have do this work for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I will be doing the work on the rifle. i added the post just to see if anyone has ever rechamberd one. my reamer is a improverd cartrige but for lenght would be the same as the edge. really only chambering the gun just to fire form cases and maybe a deer out to 600 yrds or so, just dont want to waist barrel life on the good gun.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.