7mm WSM, 180's and Re17

Considering the lite2mid weight4cal rounds that I am currently "working" with, it appears that maybe I should try 17 (I already do have 19, 22, 25, & 33). It looks like a definite try for ther 7RM, but is there a chance that it could work good in the 7RUM, with 140 grainers?

Considering the lite2mid weight4cal rounds that I am currently "working" with, it appears that maybe I should try 17 (I already do have 19, 22, 25, & 33). It looks like a definite try for ther 7RM, but is there a chance that it could work good in the 7RUM, with 140 grainers?

I have tried 17 in the 300 RUM wih 180 E-Tips, 180 CEB's and 177 GSC HV's, it gave no meaninful differenc in velocity than Retumbo with these bullets and Retumbo nearly filled the case with 17 in the 85% range.

You could always give it a try, but I think the RUM case are too much volume and too overbore for 17, especially the 7 RUM.

I will mention that I have seen more than one person get very good results with 17 in the 375 Ruger. Large case volume, about same as the Dakotas, but very "under" bore.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/66665-375-Ruger-Barnes-300gr-TSX-RL-17

I will mention that I have seen more than one person get very good results with 17 in the 375 Ruger. Large case volume, about same as the Dakotas, but very "under" bore.

Oh now come on, don't tempt me with the 375 Ruger, I love that cartridge but have absolutely no "need" for it out here in Kolorado ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts