7MM STW vs 28 Nosler

The one and only problem with the 7STW and it can be remedied by a competent smithy, is the action length. I knew that going in when I had mine built, a few years after Layne Simpson released it upon us. A long magnum action is at best minimum spec for the full length H&H case. I had the Smith to lengthen the magazine cutout .250", so there was enough extra length for about any bullet back in the day, the readily available SGK 175, awesome long range bullet that put game down where it was last alive! Move forward to when the Berger 180 VLDH and I had zero issue reaching the lands, as described by Berger, and still be magazine fed.

I love Big Seven anything.

After finding my 7RUM brass and loaded ammo. I'm kind of rethinking a 7RUM build? It makes sense, now that we've got appropriate powders and heavier bullets. When it came it out, it made more noise than sense at that time!
Go .28 Nosler if you already have a RUM action... No mods necessary. And mag box length is an easy fit for most LA rifles.

Pretty sure there's some out there... And probably several guys on here.

The trick with most all full-length magnums based off the .300 H&H is to have a Wyatt's 4.000" mag box installed by your smith.
You are correct there's probably someone out there and the Wyatt's magbox makes life better but if you go through all that trouble why not just step up to a 7mm RUM

You are correct there's probably someone out there and the Wyatt's magbox makes life better but if you go through all that trouble why not just step up to a 7mm RUM
Because real-world performance, you push almost 20 grains more powder, for only a 50 fps difference between them, and with the RUM your barrel life drops in half.

Prior to re-barreling my Sendero STW I seated 195s out to see what was needed. I was at exactly 4.000 with the bullet as far out as would make sense. I have a Wyatts that is at 4". We did not long throat the new chamber but kept SAMMI length. When testing seating depths I found .030 OTL the best. No probs cycling rounds through the mag....but then I have never needed a second shot.....so far.

If I ever get to the point I would need to re-barrel...I would do everything exactly the same. Love this setup.

I had this older thread with all the particulars of the setup if you want more info......https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/7stw-refresh.191205/#post-1343198

jjw
ND

Go .28 Nosler if you already have a RUM action... No mods necessary. And mag box length is an easy fit for most LA rifles.
I did go 28 Nosler, in 2017. Have done extensive load workups and I'v got a pretty good handle and data on it with bullet weights 175-180, what the Nosler brass can and can't take pressure wise, powders, Retumbo-H1000-H50BMG-RL26, are the most best. velocity plateaus, accuracy nodes and if it ever stops snowing in the Colorado Front Range for a length of time, I'l get some long range drop charts & real world BC work in...

still waiting on my 7rum build to be finished here... picked up a scope the other day for it... might just poach my boy's elite and give him this vortex though... I do like the elite's for hunting... I still have my 7stw too... I do not care much about bore life as long as I can get to 1K or so (the 7rum will do it if you watch what you are doing a bit) so either will do...

I don't know if it's elevation 5550' shoot at 6000 I'm extremely lucky a custom barrel versus a factory barrel which most you guys sound like you have custom barrels or lenght of barrel 27" plus brake I am ripping the 195s out of my 7mm RUM throated long at 3,300 ft per second I do have to single feed the Wyatt's magbox was not big enough and I can push harder

Fair being fair my STW chasing the lands the barrels a little warn out it has a 26 and 1/2-in barrel it is not shooting near as fast as that RUM, between my two it never has and never will the rum one. my 28nosler don't even come close to touching that thing. Truth be told I don't shoot the rum I'm just going to destroy the barrel it is literally a useless gun to me because it's a really good group and really fast and I know I am going to dust the barrel soon. Pretty much just hunt with it or my granddad hunts with it and he's the one who gave me the STW.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.