7mm STW - Rifle, Brass & Powder

canguy

Hi all, was strolling thru the gun store and noticed a Rem in 7mm STW. Stn., muzzle break, & what is probably a Rem glass stock. Price was in my budget range but before I pulled the trigger (no pun intended) I thought I would check for available unp. brass. None to be found from Horn or Nosler. Who makes unprimed in this caliber?
Would like to hear some thoughts on the gun/caliber, lack of brass & some info on powders & Loads & any reloading issues? What are your thoughts on the future of this caliber?

Your best bet is to to get 8 Remington mag brass and neck it down.
Several other calibers will work as well.
Jump over on the STW section here on the site and you will get all the answers you are looking for

Your best bet is to to get 8 Remington mag brass and neck it down.
Several other calibers will work as well.
Jump over on the STW section here on the site and you will get all the answers you are looking for
Thanks, you were spot on. That link answered a lot of questions. I knew converting 8 mag would work but not sure how the brass will shoot & function. You mentioned other brass will work. Which ones?

As for powder and bullets, the stw is not that picky. Classic picks that never go wrong are the usual slow suspects, IMR7828, H1000, Retumbo, RL25, RL26, Staball HD, N170, N570, etc. My favorite is H1000 because of the temp stability and velocity. I built my stw with a 1-8 twist to shoot Hammer bullets, but you cannot go wrong with the 160gr nosler accubond, even Layne Simpson said it was the best. Loaded to 3200 fps, it is very capable and performs just as well if not better than the same bullet in the 28 Nosler.

I agree with JakeWes on powders and 160 accubonds. I will say you're leaving velocity on the table at 3200fps…at least with a 26" tube. My powders of choice are 7828 and RL26 ignited by Federal 215 primers. I am taking the plunge into 175s when things warm up just because….