7mm STW Reloading Thread

To quote Elmer Keith " anyone that shoots steel at 200 yds or less with a high power rifle is asking for trouble."
I had a 338 win mag 250 grain partition come off a steel plate at 150 yds and barely missed me and went thru both sides of an army wall tent.
You can take that for what it's worth.
Reminds me of a video on youtube where a guy shooting a 50 cal has a ricochet come back and damned near take the top of his head off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

Last edited:
anyone ever tried using / gotten good results with non magnum primers in the STW? like the CCI 200 or BR 2.

I'm wondering because I am getting very high standard deviation on my load and I'm hoping the a different primer might make the difference.

Well I finally did some reloading last night. Got the bench ready and tumbled the brass for the STWs. On the 4th case, got stuck in the die. Can't get it out. Broke a couple things trying to get it out so I gave up. No I don't have a stuck case remover. So I went and bought a 1/2 inch drill and tap and bolt today so I could use physics to pull the case. Well the bolt broke off in the case that I tapped to use the bolt to pull the case. Ain't that a kick in the pants. So now I ruined the die, broke the expander and primer punch. I have to buy some new dies it seems. I'm going to see if forester can send me the expander and all that set up to help.
So I'm sure that it's in the 600+ pages but anyone have a load for retumbo? H1000?
4350 or rl22 and 26?

Gonna use Berger 180s.
Thanks Guys. Keep shooting straight.

By the way I'm loading because I got drawn in South Texas for deer on the wildlife refuge. However, this also means I get unlimited Nilgai and pigs. So needless to say, I may be taking the STW to try and drop a couple Nilgai on those days. gun)

I would start at 84-85 grains and work up in half grain increments. Max charge will depend on your velocity. In a 26" barrel with a standard .188" freebore your max velocity will be around 3150 fps / 66K pressure with bullet NOT seated in lands. N570 has close to the same burn rate but will get you the same velocity and pressure with 4 grains less powder but with the same load fill at the reduced charge. RL33 runs best at 100% or higher load fill.

This data is from an actual pressure tested load in a Rem700 Sendero 1-9.25" twist, rem brass 99 grs h20 capacity and using a Oehler 43. Accuracy with this rifle is 1/4 MOA with both the VLD and Hybrid with slightly different charges. Seating depth, case capacity, twist rate and chamber dimensions can / will affect velocity and pressures.

MarioQ

I loaded 180 Hunting VLDs last year using 77-79 grains of Retumbo. I seated to magazine length and used a Fed 215 in Nosler brass. Finished load was 79 grains at a velocity of 3064 fps. I had good accuracy from 77 grains up.

MarioQ

I loaded 180 Hunting VLDs last year using 77-79 grains of Retumbo. I seated to magazine length and used a Fed 215 in Nosler brass. Finished load was 79 grains at a velocity of 3064 fps. I had good accuracy from 77 grains up.

Awesome!!!!! Thanks for the info.

anyone ever tried using / gotten good results with non magnum primers in the STW? like the CCI 200 or BR 2.

I'm wondering because I am getting very high standard deviation on my load and I'm hoping the a different primer might make the difference.

Kyron, depending on powder you can get away with non-mag primers. If you're running heavy bullets and slow powders I wouldn't recommend it. Primer probably won't solve your issue though if you're talking 30-40 fps extreme spreads. Try another powder, make sure you're getting consistent neck tension, seating primers consistently, and have good, centered & strong firing pin strike. I've run BR primers and Fed 210M's in my STW with powders as slow as H1000 & Retumbo. Your mileage may vary. Probably wouldn't try it with slower powders like US869, RL50, H50 BMG, etc... CCI 250's and 215M's seem to be the consensus choices

Coopdawg,

Thanks for the info. I am using RL33 right now. I would love to try fed 215s but they seem to be mythical around Nashville TN. My grades is no doubt part of the problem as it is remington 375h&h brass and is the brass that I started my first foray into reloading with. Just hoping maybe I can improve some from SDs of around 17fps with different primers.

I might have to try remington 9 1\2m or win large rifle mag.

Recent Posts