7mm STW Reloading Thread

IMG_20150317_160634374.jpg this was at 100 yards

I'm running H4831 73.2 GRS with 162 gr SST

What happens @ 73.3?

(Not saying this is you but.....)
If the accuracy node is that sensitive, why do people insist on doing this?
Then the SAME folks whine about it shotgunning @ 20F and shooting great @ 75F....

For the most part, I've stuck with Alliant powders... some say the spread is greater in cold temps, and they are more susceptible to change in varying temps...
I have seen some mild velocity changes with 19 and 22, yes... however group stability was never compromised. I cannot vouch that in my reloading experiences with IMR or Hodgdon powders, sans Retumbo.

The 162 SST at 73.2 is max load in hornady manual. I've shot this load at 300 yards still tight at 1½ to 1¾ in groups. I was going to try a grain more. Why screw around with it put 3 shots in almost same hole is pretty decent considering I shot off a sand bag

The 162 SST at 73.2 is max load in hornady manual. I've shot this load at 300 yards still tight at 1½ to 1¾ in groups. I was going to try a grain more. Why screw around with it put 3 shots in almost same hole is pretty decent considering I shot off a sand bag

Got that right.
Stable is stable.... why break something that's fixed.

I have had rifles that that.... no development, just flat out shot.
Hell, I just picked up a Tikka T3 lite to burn up 300 Win Mag ammo I have lying around.... the **** thing is so stable it did a .6 moa group with a random assortment of loads.. IN THE SAME GROUP... 168s,180s and 220s....
Its a flat out crazy stable rifle.

Sadly.... I have no reason to keep the thing around once the ammo is gone... unless I find another rifle in my fleet to be trading stock... Prolly will be building a 26 Nosler this next winter/spring.

Last edited:
I picked up an SPS 7 STW that was on sale for 550$.... about 2 months ago
That thing is a 1/2 moa rifle if I do my part... my dad and brother have run this cartridge for years.... just grabbed some of their ammo and tested. I figured why do load development when it's already been done...
I was actually hoping that it was a crap rifle.... I wanted the action. gun):D
Seems to like 140 Sierras and a stout charge of RL22.

I picked up an SPS 7 STW that was on sale for 550$.... about 2 months ago
That thing is a 1/2 moa rifle if I do my part... my dad and brother have run this cartridge for years.... just grabbed some of their ammo and tested. I figured why do load development when it's already been done...
I was actually hoping that it was a crap rifle.... I wanted the action. gun):D
Seems to like 140 Sierras and a stout charge of RL22.

Because EVERY rifle is different. It doesn't matter if they rolled off the assembly line one after the other...Both will shoot different and most likely prefer different loads. Every now and then you get 2 that will shoot the same loads.

That's interesting! I LIKE 4831 (all flavors, too!), but had been told it was a bit too fast for the 7mm STW. I just might have to try it after all.

Anybody tried it with 180-grain Bergers?

I recommend 7828 SSC, or slower, for the heavies. Running 71gr of it, with the 180's, I'm getting just a hair under 3,000, with zero pressure signs. I have a feeling I should be able to work up to around 3,100 before seeing pressure signs (but this is just opinion, and currently not a proven fact...Yet.).

I mostly use IMR 7828 just loaded a few 162 gr SST to finish up the can of powder I was surprised. Shot tighter than what I thought it would. I have loaded 175 gr sierra game kings up with 83.1 GRS of H870 shot under a inch at 100