81 retumbo
cci 250
27" tube 3250 fps hot load flat primer

168 LRAB
81 retumbo
cci 250
27" tube 3200 fps hot load flat primer

same relative dope due to lrab higher bc
The LRAB doesn't have a real-world higher BC. It's been tested and proven inflated.

good to know

luckily for me it had the same point of impact on a steel target at 935 yds as the vld's did

maybe one is not quite an inch high at 100 or chrono was off

ok let me try this another way. I am loading for 140 gr bullets. I was using h1000, can't get any. I did get some retumbo which is slower than h1000. now back to the op. anyone loaded 140 gr bullets with retumbo? thanks.

ok let me try this another way. I am loading for 140 gr bullets. I was using h1000, can't get any. I did get some retumbo which is slower than h1000. now back to the op. anyone loaded 140 gr bullets with retumbo? thanks.
Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

They say 83 to 89 for the 139 hdy and retumbo. They also say 81 to 85.5 for h1000 with the same bullet, so go from there.

I'm going to work with retumbo soon as I need more speed with 140's than rl25 is putting out; I'll push rl25 a bit too I suppose.

Lefty,

If you go back to Rick Jamison's excellent article on the 7STW, Shooting Times, Feb 1996, he deems H 1000 to be a bit slow for the 140's. RL 22 was his preferred powder. Might be you are not getting the speed with RL25 as it is pretty close to H 1000. In fact his recommended " ideal, all around load" was 79.3 gr of RL 22 and the 140 gr Nosler Partition......that was 18 years ago, but I suspect that not much has changed since then.....:rolleyes:

Lefty,

If you go back to Rick Jamison's excellent article on the 7STW, Shooting Times, Feb 1996, he deems H 1000 to be a bit slow for the 140's. RL 22 was his preferred powder. Might be you are not getting the speed with RL25 as it is pretty close to H 1000. In fact his recommended " ideal, all around load" was 79.3 gr of RL 22 and the 140 gr Nosler Partition......that was 18 years ago, but I suspect that not much has changed since then.....:rolleyes:
My current rifle is a 10" twist with a 24" bbl and a bit more headspace than my last rifle. The load I'm shooting was developed in the last rifle ( a sendero) and shot lights out @ 3400 fps and change. I just have to account for the slower twist and more generous chamber if I want full pressure; say go up a grain or three. I really don't care if I'm squeezing the last drop of speed as this rifle shoots well with this load and I have a 7rum also. Jamison is correct in that some powders could be considered a bit slow in the stw with the lighter bullets, but I've only seen that with lighter than 140 gr in 7mm.

As to rl22, been there, done that with this rifle. I couldn't find a combo it really liked with rl22, but I may try retumbo and 7828 I suppose.

A couple of weeks ago, I found and bought a pound of Retumbo, and a box of Sierra 160-grain GameKing bullets. Hey, the stuff was on the shelf, so I grabbed it.

After reading all this, it appears I may have to find heavier bullets, or faster powder.

But I guess I'll try this combination out first.

A couple of weeks ago, I found and bought a pound of Retumbo, and a box of Sierra 160-grain GameKing bullets. Hey, the stuff was on the shelf, so I grabbed it.

After reading all this, it appears I may have to find heavier bullets, or faster powder.

But I guess I'll try this combination out first.
retumbo should do well with 160's. Personally I'm not a really a retumbo fan but we do burn it in a couple of 7rum rifles with 150-175 grain bullets.
That's (160) a heavy enough bullet you could actually go to a 50 cal. type powder if you want in the stw. It's a big case to fill up and some of the faster magnum powders are actually not slow enough to actually get a full case when you get to pressure in the stw.

Used H5010 with Barnes 160gr original X bullets accuracy was so so, not spectacular. 87-88gr gave me 3150-3190 fps. Biggest issue was changing COL due to extreme powder compression. Switching to RL 25 and Nosler 160 AB has produced much, much better results. I guess the older X design just wasn't that good. Now I have way too many taking up space on the shelf!!! On another note, had to finally pitch the H 5010......it decomposed, only powder I have ever had that did that. May be why it was discontinued.

I've been working up loads for my STW and Berger 168 grain VLD. best accuracy I've found is with 76 grains of R25. My velocity is 3,110 average. I was hoping I could get 3,200 out of it.

The Berger manual says 75 grains is max load but I'm sure they are conservative. My question is how much over their max can I expect to go? I see a bunch of people going 5 grains over Berger published max with the H1000 and 168 grain VLD but nothing with R25.

Details of my setup are: rem 700 with 9twist 26" bartlein barrel. 76 grains R25; rem and win brass; cci 250 primer loaded to 3.670 COAL.

I haven't seen pressure signs at 76 grains but just want to get an idea of how hot I may be able to go to get to 3,200 fops or so.

I've been working up loads for my STW and Berger 168 grain VLD. best accuracy I've found is with 76 grains of R25. My velocity is 3,110 average. I was hoping I could get 3,200 out of it.

The Berger manual says 75 grains is max load but I'm sure they are conservative. My question is how much over their max can I expect to go? I see a bunch of people going 5 grains over Berger published max with the H1000 and 168 grain VLD but nothing with R25.

Details of my setup are: rem 700 with 9twist 26" bartlein barrel. 76 grains R25; rem and win brass; cci 250 primer loaded to 3.670 COAL.

I haven't seen pressure signs at 76 grains but just want to get an idea of how hot I may be able to go to get to 3,200 fops or so.

Working on an STW build here myself.
Remi action,Broughton 1-8 twist 5c.waiting on the reamer from PTG.
What kind of groups are you getting with the R-25 over the 168s at 76 grains?