7mm STW Reloading Thread

I am looking for loads for the 168 grain berger vld. I have tried quite a few, so far the only load I have been able to get a decent group with is 79 grains of H-1000 at about 2975 FPS. The gorup is about .625inch center to center. Don't get me wrong the group is great and it is probably the load I will use but I wanted to get some other feedback from people shooting this bullet.
My plan is to set this rifle up to shoot out to 1000 yards.

Allen, first of all, Welome to the Brotherhood! As to your present load, you have some headroom there as far as speed goes, and quite a bit actually, that is if your readings are correct. With the same powder and bullet, my 7 Mag is getting 2977, with 67.5 grains of H1000. That being said you should be able to get a little more velocity, IF you want it. I don't have my manual close by, but I'm sure you have some play room. What is your barrel length, I'm assuming 26 inches?

7stw,
Thanks for the welcome. I would agree with your assessment that I have a little more room to play. My primers show no sign of overpressure. Unfortunately that day I had about 20 different loads to shoot and between shooting groups and cleaning it was an all day deal. I will slowly increase my powder charge until I see signs of flattening on the primer.

As for barrel length, right now it has the factory barrel on it which states it is 25.5" which includes the factory break. Not exactly sure how they came up with that number because it does not appear to be that length to me when I throw a tape to it but thats what Remington claims.
It honestly measure just over 24"

I will be looking to change out the barrel within the next year with a custom one but for now I am just feeling the old gal out.

I believe my data to be fairly accurate. I am using an Oehlers Model 35P chrono. If you have any data on the 168 grain VLD load for the stw utilizing the H-1000 I would love to see it. Thanks again!

7stw,
Thanks for the welcome. I would agree with your assessment that I have a little more room to play. My primers show no sign of overpressure. Unfortunately that day I had about 20 different loads to shoot and between shooting groups and cleaning it was an all day deal. I will slowly increase my powder charge until I see signs of flattening on the primer.

As for barrel length, right now it has the factory barrel on it which states it is 25.5" which includes the factory break. Not exactly sure how they came up with that number because it does not appear to be that length to me when I throw a tape to it but thats what Remington claims.

I will be looking to change out the barrel within the next year with a custom one but for now I am just feeling the old gal out.

I believe my data to be fairly accurate. I am using an Oehlers Model 35P chrono. If you have any data on the 168 grain VLD load for the stw utilizing the H-1000 I would love to see it. Thanks again!

It sounds like you have a Remington 700 BDL SS DM -B 7mm STW.

My Pop has one and he gave it to me this past Spring to fine-tune it and worked up some loads with 140 C/Ts (that's want he wanted to shoot). The rifle was consistently shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yards under .5 MOA. I was very impressed with it!

Those Remington 700 BDL SS DM -B are really nice 7mm STWs! :)

7stw,

Allen, now things do make perfect sense, which includes your velocity, and your chrono gear. Effectively, you have a usable 24 ish length of barrel, which in turn is the reason tour velocity is a little lower then as would be with a 26 inch tube. In this caliber, and cartridge, that two inches can easily represent as much as 50 fps per inch, give or take a little. Which in turn would put you at about 3100 or there a bouts, and still have headroom. As my Brother," Gamehawker" said, those rifles are VERY accurate, and I nearly bought one of them myself a while back, and if I get the opportunity again, and my wallet is right, I will own one of them.
Now, if you are wanting to shoot the 168 grain bullets, with your PRESENT set up, you may want to consider a faster powder. The H1000 is much to slow for the barrel you have now, but maybe try, RL19, H4831' either version, and possibly 7828. With one of those powders, I'm sure you will be able to better your speed, without over pressuring the chamber.
I have total faith in your chrono, and believe your numbers are spot on. Good luck in your search, and don't give up on her. That rifle is a shooter, I'll guarantee it! Enjoy!:)

Don't know why the format of this post is a little screwy?????

Last edited:
My pops has one of those remmy ss 7stw rifles with the drop out box and brake. They really don't do bad at all for being a bit short. His rifle and my sendero were between 30 and 100 fps apart with his usually lower. The interesting thing was with some combos he was actually slightly faster; unfortunately there wasn't a noticable trend there and the results have been lost to the sands of time. a 24" pipe will do you plenty well but don't always expect 26" velocity... Get a chrono in front of her and see what loads perform well.

Anyone have. Any expereiance with quality carrtirage brass theres some coming p for sale in the for sale section for 39.00 for 20 it says on par with nossler and better than rem and win

I just finished breaking in a new Kreiger #5 in 1:9.

So far the the best load is;

80.5 grains of Retumbo w/ 168 VLD 3105 FPS

82 grains of Retumbo w/ 168 accubonds 3185FPS

I am going to try some H1000 and 25, I am having FPS varriances of up to 70fps, but still holding .75moa to 300 yards. Would like to get down to single digits.

Lands is 3.280" (Ogive measurement) . Best goups with berger 168 VLD is at 3.278. Accubonds are shooting best at .040 off lands.

I just finished breaking in a new Kreiger #5 in 1:9.

So far the the best load is;

80.5 grains of Retumbo w/ 168 VLD 3105 FPS

82 grains of Retumbo w/ 168 accubonds 3185FPS

I am going to try some H1000 and 25, I am having FPS varriances of up to 70fps, but still holding .75moa to 300 yards. Would like to get down to single digits.

Lands is 3.280" (Ogive measurement) . Best goups with berger 168 VLD is at 3.278. Accubonds are shooting best at .040 off lands.
Stop looking at the numbers .....as long as its grouping the only number that matters is your fps to figure your ballistics........

Recent Posts