7mm stw loads ???

GO-FASTER

has anyone played with retumbo, groups-speed-bullets???
I have a sendero using 162 a-max
any info would be nice,like OAL. I reload alot but the stw is a new one to me.
THANKS

I have shot and reloaded for the stw lots. I would not use Retumbo until you hit the 175gr bullets or higher even then I think it is a little slow. H-1000 seems to work in bullet weights from 140gr to 175gr really well. A couple more are R-22, IMR-7828 and R-25. I just got my custom back so I have not really had time to play with it much but I was getting 3054fps with 79gr of Retumbo and the 176 Cart and it shoots well but I think the powder is a little to slow. I am going to try H-1000. For the 162 A-max I am using 78gr of IMR-7828sc and getting around 3270fps. I would try the H-1000 and start at about 78gr and work up until it shoots well or you get to much pressure. I think I topped out around 82gr with a 162 A-max and was getting around 3250fps. I will say H-1000 is not going to give you real smoking velocitys but it shoots well. If you want speed with accuracy look at R-22, IMR-7828 those usally give out the best velocity. I mainly use H-1000 because it is not as temp sensitive as R-22 or IMR-7828.

Go-Faster, I've not had good accuracy with the 162 Amax in my STW unless I slowed the charge down to about 75 grains of H-1000 or Retumbo.

I had EXCELLENT results with a 160 Accubond and 80 grains of retumbo and 80 grains of H-1000 as well.

The AB's shoot excellent in the STW.

Go-faster,
Try a search using 7STW. I'll give you a some good info for the STW and some loads guys are using. Retumbo did not give the velocity I was looking for but with the 160 Accubond it was accurate 80.2 grains. Great round, purchased one myself and took 2 caribou this past August using 160 Barnes triple shock w/IMR7828. I was impressed with the Barnes performance. The BC isn't real high but I was smackin' rocks at 1200 after getting my bou.

I was fortunate to obtain some factory loaded ($15 a box)Federal STW ammo (shot 3/4" at 100 & 2 1/2" at 200, I use it for foulers)for what it would have cost to purchase and load the WW for. I use WW for the most part. The Federal I have I use after I have some development done with the WW to give me good starting points. The Federal is really nice brass. That said there really is nothing wrong with the WW. The primer pockets do loosen a lot easier on the WW than the Federal though. If you know of a place to get Federal 8Mag brass, which is the parent case of the STW, let us know I'll take 1000 right away.

I agree, Remington 7 STW brass is junk.....

the primer pockets really loosen up fast, and at the accuracy load that my rifle likes, I get one or two firings using Remington brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts