7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

This bull elk was also killed with a 160 gr. Nosler Accubond from my new 7mm STW. The bullet passed through the elk as well, Nosler must be beefing these things up a bit. I shot another bull elk a couple of
years ago with a 180 gr. Accubond in a 300 Weatherby and it blew up after penetrating the rib cage.
The bull died like it was electrocuted.

Just bought my 1st 7mm STW. Its a basic setup. Remington 700 w/ a Bell & Carlson Stock w/ 26" barrel. X-pro trigger. Looking forward to shooting and building loads for it. I would like to hear someof your pet loads

Just bought my 1st 7mm STW. Its a basic setup. Remington 700 w/ a Bell & Carlson Stock w/ 26" barrel. X-pro trigger. Looking forward to shooting and building loads for it. I would like to hear someof your pet loads
tons of 'em (loads) in the previous pages bud.

guys, gonna pillar bed the lh 7stw this weekend- I'll put the pillars in with help and take a look at a skim bed job if the wood contact changes-- right now it's good contact but too dang compressible

This bull elk was also killed with a 160 gr. Nosler Accubond from my new 7mm STW. The bullet passed through the elk as well, Nosler must be beefing these things up a bit. I shot another bull elk a couple of
years ago with a 180 gr. Accubond in a 300 Weatherby and it blew up after penetrating the rib cage.
The bull died like it was electrocuted.

Electrocution sounds like DRT, either way, it beats the hell out of tracking. Nice job my friend. What a way to " put the meat on the table".

What model is your rifle? I know you said Remington 700, but was wondering what model and vintage. Welcome to " The Hood". There's a wealth of info here, and some mighty fine people here too. You shouldn't have trouble finding help, should you run into any. The STW is a incredible cartridge, that for reasons STILL unknown, is not in production, but should be. But it still lives on, and with websites like this one, it is only proof that it was no " Flash in the pan". Have fun, and enjoy the ride.

Great bull Riverman. Wish I could get out west for elk - it has been 9 years since my last elk hunt... maybe in the next couple years. Just to clarify - which one dropped like it was electrocuted - the one you shot with the 160 gr or the one you shot with the 180?

The bull shot with the 180 gr. Accubond actually cart wheeled backwards, he was hauling butt up a very steep slope trying to get away from me.

The bull this year had both lungs taken out with the first shot. He ran about 50 yds. trying to keep up with his herd of cows then he just stood with his head down until he piled up. A large satellite bull came over and hooked him a couple of times and then took off with the cows. We had the wind on these elk and they never knew we were there. They were bugling at each other and we set up right between them. The satellite bull came busting in at about 10 yds. looked at us and sprinted off about 50 yds. The bull I shot was busy herding his cows right at us. I shot him at about 200 yds.

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhoode 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

2012 Idaho bullhttp://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13808&stc=1&d=1350083606

Cograts! You look like the cheshire cat in the picture smiling ear to ear.

I know I would have the same smiling face if I killed a massive elk like that! :D

Awesome!

congrats on the animals guys. I bought 48lbs of that WC867 surplus powder for my STW and to load some duplex loads for my 45-70. Loaded 5 rounds and went outside on my range,with the chrony. I used a 150gr. Sierra Match King,fire formed neck sized rem. brass, fed gm215m primers, and 90grs. of wc867.I got 3431,3458,3441,3441,and 3448. I shot the 3shot group then the other two after a drive to the target. 440yds/1/4mi. this was with the black rifle with the ugly rubber donut on the barrel I posted here a while back. This was off the bench and a caldwell bag....

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 10
ANOTHER RANGE REPORT***
Hey guys, finally was able to get some range time this weekend with the Sharpshooter, and my new build that I had put together in the spring.
Well, the Sharpshooter has shown me that it likes 140 class bullets, and today was basically a review, using another bullet which is the 140 Partition. I have been very happy with the TSX, but I had a few , and thought I would give them a try,as I have not shot them in this rifle. ( until now). Well, long story short, I may give them a whirl in November. My standard load for 140 weight is 79.3-rl22, and a 215 primer @ 3.624 in the Winchester. Well, I got three back to back sub half inch groups. I also shot the TSX load as well, and it shot awesome as well.
So, onto the Custom gun. I have been experimenting with 154 spire points, and RL25 with promising results, but the weather got too hot, so I held off until today, when time availed, and temps cooler. Temp was about 55. Load was 81.8-RL25-150 BT, 215 GM, and once fired federal premium brass. Well, shot the same target twice, with three shot groups,and you can barely see the third hole from the first group. range was 100 yards. It is basically a ragged hole SIX SHOT GROUP. Pix may follow, with a little help from another brother. OAL was 3.688. Sorry for the long read, as it's been a while since I was able to shoot, due to weather, or work. But I was rather happy with the results, and wanted to pass along the info. Just another reminder of why we love this caliber. Take care to all.