7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

load is 162 amax over RL 25 @ 3300fps. I gave the hog away to a buddy so I didnt see the insides. The bullet didnt exit but the hog never twitched. shot placement was in the neck just forward of the shoulder.

I already have a 7STW in a Winchester M70, figured I may rechamber my Rem 700 if is would not be to much work :D may start keeping my eyes peeled for a doner gun in the near future, thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Here is another idea. I fully understand that it is sacrilege on this forum and I run the risk of being excommunicated by my brethren, but...... since it is a standard action length (2.5" cartridges), there is a way you can get near (I put that in to alleviate the trouble i'll be in for bringing this up), 7STW ballistics from a puny cartridge. You can rebarrel the action to 7mm Dakota.

I know all H-E 2x Toothpicks is going to start flying on this forum because i said the name that cannot be named.

The Dakota will get you where you want to be in a standard sized action. Brass is more expensive, and is also of higher quality than Remington Brass. Your bolt face will have to be opened up and with a longer mag box in your 700 you should be able to seat the bullets out there and give them a proper ride.

I had to do this with the 7mm rem mag Savage LRH 111 I bought because the stinking mag couldn't handle a true cartridges length. So there is always that.....

OK let the berating begin..........

The 7 Dakota is a possibility but I think the short cartridge market seems to be WSM now, and probably here to stay. I still like long action cartridges, stw has it's place, no worry.

Greetings from Norway!
I have read this whole tread with interest, yes all post:-D
Thanks to you guys i'v orderd a sako in 7 mm stw. I'm getting it delivered next week.
It will be fitted with a-tec silencer, IOR 3.5-18*50 ffp mil scope. Just cant wait to try it.

I already have a 7STW in a Winchester M70, figured I may rechamber my Rem 700 if is would not be to much work :D may start keeping my eyes peeled for a doner gun in the near future, thanks guys.

Here is another idea. I fully understand that it is sacrilege on this forum and I run the risk of being excommunicated by my brethren, but...... since it is a standard action length (2.5" cartridges), there is a way you can get near (I put that in to alleviate the trouble i'll be in for bringing this up), 7STW ballistics from a puny cartridge. You can rebarrel the action to 7mm Dakota.

I know all H-E 2x Toothpicks is going to start flying on this forum because i said the name that cannot be named.

The Dakota will get you where you want to be in a standard sized action. Brass is more expensive, and is also of higher quality than Remington Brass. Your bolt face will have to be opened up and with a longer mag box in your 700 you should be able to seat the bullets out there and give them a proper ride.

I had to do this with the 7mm rem mag Savage LRH 111 I bought because the stinking mag couldn't handle a true cartridges length. So there is always that.....

OK let the berating begin..........[/QUOTE]

I have looked at the 7 dakota, but the wsm's and the 7-300 win are what most people are doing lately.
The Dakota is a viable option especially for someone who wants stw performance and needs a proper headstamp for travel, etc. but doesn't want a la rem or win action. Data is scarce but I have some in my barnes #2 book.
I'm still working on my stw. It's terribly accurate when it wants to be and 3 moa when it wants to be, so I'll be waiting on another 7 for a while. I've got to re-shoot everything I've done too, dang it....
Pillar bedding, bedding block, or stock before I waste any more barrel life.

Greetings from Norway!
Thanks to you guys i'v orderd a sako in 7 mm stw. I'm getting it delivered next week.
It will be fitted with a-tec silencer, IOR 3.5-18*50 ffp mil scope. Just cant wait to try it.

Should be a hoot... Let me know how well the silencer works on this cal. Here in the states you need a permit for a silencer so most people either don't bother or just do pistols.

If it comes from John Whidden I'd assume it's good. He's a phenomenal marksman and started from scratch. I don't think he'd put his name on something that doesn't work and or costs a fortune for shooters.

In Norway there is no restrictions on silencers, and my ears are very pleased with that:) I have it on my Sauer 200 STR 6,5*55 also and i can shoot
without ear protection and almost all recoil is gone. I'm also thinking about buying an extra barrel(krieger 28-30 inches) and a br stock for use in BR 500 unlimited class. This will be a combined hunting and competition rifle.
But i have to find the good load first for this rifle. I hope for 10-15 mm group 5 shots.
Is this possible in this caliber?

I already have a 7STW in a Winchester M70, figured I may rechamber my Rem 700 if is would not be to much work :D may start keeping my eyes peeled for a doner gun in the near future, thanks guys.

OK let the berating begin..........[/QUOTE]

Boulderdash, poppycock, and blasphemy, eternal damnation, and many mis- fires to you, and tracking too!!! How's that for starters.........? LMFAO.
I just had to start the fire, and now I'm going to watch it burn. ( not really serious, all humor, but I couldn't resist, it must be that hunting season is near, I can smell it and feel it) let's see if anyone else can contribute!!!! Happy Hunting!!!
LET THE GAMES BEGIN BRETHREN!!!!!

I'll bet you can get to 10mm or less at 100. Are you looking at 500 yard or meters actually. Try Bergers 180's or 168. On a side note, I have a 6.5x55 and I'm looking for a good whitetail load and bullet at 300 yards or less. Any ideas? I've got a month!

Greetings from Norway!

Trondheim, first and foremost, welcome to the " Brotherhood" and congrats on the new purchase. You will be happy with it , I'm sure.
I recently had a Sako V, in 7 STW. It was stainless, and a synthetic stock. Very accurate, and the barrel was like glass. That barrel absolutely loved 140 grain Barnes TSX's, and 162 Hornady A- maxes. I say it in past tense, as I regretfully had to sell it to fund another project. That was a quality piece of machinery for sure. I am sure you will like yours as well. Let us all know how it shoots for you. Take care, and again, Welcome!!!!:D