7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

1 in 9 im planning on shooting 154 gr bullets. If I need anything heavier I'll use my 338

k day, I was beginning to think that I was the only one who liked that bullet. I picked up two boxes of the old 154 Spire points, and my new build, that I just got back shoots them like a house on fire. The groups are BETTER at 200 than at 100. I have shot them in a seven mag, and they shot well also, and put deer in a pile right now, DRT. My load is 78.4-rl22-154 Hornady spire point @ 3.651 OAL, 215 federal primer. Shoots just over 1/2 at 100, and .781 @ 200.
She tolerates the 150 BT, but absolutely loves the 154's. I think it has something to do with the Flat base.
Well, good luck with the 154's, and the 338 as well.

k day, I was beginning to think that I was the only one who liked that bullet. I picked up two boxes of the old 154 Spire points, and my new build, that I just got back shoots them like a house on fire. The groups are BETTER at 200 than at 100. I have shot them in a seven mag, and they shot well also, and put deer in a pile right now, DRT. My load is 78.4-rl22-154 Hornady spire point @ 3.651 OAL, 215 federal primer. Shoots just over 1/2 at 100, and .781 @ 200.
She tolerates the 150 BT, but absolutely loves the 154's. I think it has something to do with the Flat base.
Well, good luck with the 154's, and the 338 as well.
There you go with the338 subliminal messaging again.........:D

All the Hornady Spire Point bullets I have tried shoot very well; always wondered if it is the long parallel side bearing surfaces "forcing" the bullet to be straight in the bore........

Jim

I just bought some SST's in 154 to load I might try 162s also. I have a few misc bullets my friends gave me most on the heavier side so as soon as it's finished I'll have some fun testing ammo.

After all I've read over the last few years, Hornady comes up a lot. That's says something, and pretty much always positive. They must have good research people.

After all I've read over the last few years, Hornady comes up a lot. That's says something, and pretty much always positive. They must have good research people.

Ed, I have to agree. For years, I either couldnt get them to shoot, or I had a load that was shooting well, and didn't pursue it enough to bother.
Now, it seems that they have really put together some fine bullets, and I always consider them when I am looking for a match for something I am shooting. I have personally been having great luck with 162 A Max, 154 spire point, and 139 SST. I was for a long time shooting another bullet, but I am tired of making hamBerger!!!! Nuff' said!!!!!

All the Hornady Spire Point bullets I have tried shoot very well; always wondered if it is the long parallel side bearing surfaces "forcing" the bullet to be straight in the bore........

Jim
Well that is definitely part of it, but another thing is that is a flat base bullet. Flat base bullets don't get the press they deserve. For the most part, IMHO, the flat base bullet seems to shoot a little better for me, but I know that the boat tail has it in spades at longer distance, due to the BC difference, shape etc. This is not the first time I have found this to be true. My 270, 22-250, 7 mag, and two of my STW's shoot them very well. My 308 shoots 150 sierra FB bullets, like match bullets. It seems all the hype is on the boat tails.

Well that is definitely part of it, but another thing is that is a flat base bullet. Flat base bullets don't get the press they deserve. For the most part, IMHO, the flat base bullet seems to shoot a little better for me, but I know that the boat tail has it in spades at longer distance, due to the BC difference, shape etc. This is not the first time I have found this to be true. My 270, 22-250, 7 mag, and two of my STW's shoot them very well. My 308 shoots 150 sierra FB bullets, like match bullets. It seems all the hype is on the boat tails.
I have been blowing flat base bullets down most of my bores for years. I use boat-tails mainly by happenstance, not choosing the bullet because it has a boat-tail.
The 150 sierra is one fine shooting bullet in mid capacity 30 cal. I've been using it's equivalent in 7mm(the 140 pro hunter) in my 7 mag and my 7mmstw for years. They just work. Don't let the flat base fool you, they will get out there just fine. I made my longest kill with the 7mm 140 pro hunter; over 700 yards out sitting with no rest on a mule deer. The evening before I got a 2x2 buck at over 600 yards trotting with a 10 mph wind using the same sitting position (different hunting spot though) without a rest. They were both shot with a 7mm ultra doing 3425 fps with rl25 with the 140 fb sierra. I have huge confidence in the sierra's ability if you can get it to shoot well, and usually that's pretty easy.

I have been blowing flat base bullets down most of my bores for years. I use boat-tails mainly by happenstance, not choosing the bullet because it has a boat-tail.
The 150 sierra is one fine shooting bullet in mid capacity 30 cal. I've been using it's equivalent in 7mm(the 140 pro hunter) in my 7 mag and my 7mmstw for years. They just work. Don't let the flat base fool you, they will get out there just fine. I made my longest kill with the 7mm 140 pro hunter; over 700 yards out sitting with no rest on a mule deer. The evening before I got a 2x2 buck at over 600 yards trotting with a 10 mph wind using the same sitting position (different hunting spot though) without a rest. They were both shot with a 7mm ultra doing 3425 fps with rl25 with the 140 fb sierra. I have huge confidence in the sierra's ability if you can get it to shoot well, and usually that's pretty easy.

Well, you know the old saying,( what goes around, comes BACK around), well it definitely applies. We all grew up shooting Noslers and sierras, and Hornadys too. And when all the hoopla settles and the new fan dangled whiz bang projectiles don't work as advertised, you at least know where to go. I have learned my lesson, and will not make those mistakes no more. I had a pretty embarrassing deer season last year, due to bullet failure. Burns me up just thinking about it.
I have revamped everything that I hunt with, and am shooting " old faithfuls", that I know will cause DRT. Some of those choices were exactly that, returning to what we were all using that worked just fine. A little lesson in humility!!!!:D

Agreed on the FB bullets being accurate, usually easier to get accuracy with FB than with BT.

Also, no benefit to boat tails under ~400 yards or so-------

Jim

PS: My very first whitetail was taken at about 75 yds. with a Hornady 7mm 175 Spire Point from a very early Rem. 700 7mm Rem Mag (had a 24" stainless bbl. that was copper plated, then blackened). The shot was from front to rear, core and jacket found in the left ham---would have to check my notebook for the load data.

Last edited:
OAL lengths comparisons

If one of u guys have a hornadyOAL gauge or what ever ,can you tell me what your lengths are . I have a hornady with the bullet & headspace bushings

My sendaro seems excessive
measurements are with caliper re-zero'd with adapters on

HEADSPACE
new remington case - 2.451
fired case - 2.468
seems to chamber okay at 2.466- .465 ( plain brass only)

BULLET OGIVE to touch into lands (any hints on getting this more consistent?)

Remington factory load 140 core lokt 3.001
Noslar partion 175 3.153 average
barnes tsx 150 3.155 av = 3.707 measured to tip