7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Bros......

I just found a 7mm sendero that has been rechambered into a STW. Do you think this is as good as a standard sender STW? Worth jumping on?? Or keep looking for a sendero STW???? Just want to see what yall think with more experience that I have.
Thanks
mario

I would definitely go with say a VS or a Sendero opened up to an STW by a competent gunsmith. Just find that out, like "how does it shoot the stw" and it'd be a go. In time, if you shoot enough you are going to re barrel it any way. You get all the other pieces with the Sendero or the VS model that looks just like the Sendero. You should save $200, it's worth it. If you shoot the barrel out get a Sendero barrel then.

Bros......

I just found a 7mm sendero that has been rechambered into a STW. Do you think this is as good as a standard sender STW? Worth jumping on?? Or keep looking for a sendero STW???? Just want to see what yall think with more experience that I have.
Thanks
mario

Mario, IF, the rechambering was done RIGHT, that gun can be as good or BETTER then one originally chambered in the STW. A lot of times, the new reamer has tighter tolerances then the factory reamer. If at all possible, if you find out a little of the history, ie, gunsmith, reamer make, and has it been fired any, and if so, hoe does it shoot, those things will make the decision a little easier. BUT, if the whole package is way below usual asking, you really can't go wrong, because if it does not shoot, you still have two major components toward a better build.
Bottom line, if the price is right, buy it! Also find out if the barrel was cut back at all.
Good luck, keep us posted.

I agree with these fellas. If you have the money and it's cheap enough then you can always prop it in he corner until you can re barrel it. But...you may get lucky and never need too. It would be nice if you could shoot it before you buy it. .

The only thing id ck is to see if stw will feed from magazine i was going to do that to a ruger until i found that out didnt want just a single shot so im going to clean it up and sell it to fund another stw

I would add that you probably want a barrel that is 26". Most factory 7mmRM's are 24"

Bob, ALL factory long action Senderos are 26, even the non magnums. The rifle Mario is referring to MAY be a bargain. That being said, I don't know what the price is!
Also, the SPS rifles in any magnum are also 26 inch. They finally got smart about that. I actually had a SPS in seven mag awhile ago, and it shot pretty darn well. The pro mark trigger was a drag. That thing loved 140 CT bullets.

The only thing id ck is to see if stw will feed from magazine i was going to do that to a ruger until i found that out didnt want just a single shot so im going to clean it up and sell it to fund another stw

Muliehunter, IF that rifle is a seven mag Sendero, and has been rechambered to STW, the magazine WILL feed the rounds to the chamber just fine. If you rechamber a seven mag to seven RUM, you have to change the box, and open the frame rails, due to the wider width of the UM case.
My first semi custom that I built years ago, was a LSS, in seven mag. I screwed a #5 Hart barrel into it, chambered to STW, no problems with feeding at all.
I have heard of a few rechambers that do require feeding modifications, and Rugers are in that group. One of the most successful re chambers, was on a Browning Stainless Stalker. My friends rifle had a 26 inch barrel, that shot somewhat ok before the rechamber. It shot like a dream afterwards, because the new cartridge length put the neck in a very good portion of the rifling. That thing STILL shoots like a dream. I'm not sure if he had to modify the rails, or ramp, but I think he didn't have to do anything.

It's right about 1100. I sent him 6factory stw rounds to group 2 sets of 3. See how it does. Figure if its sub Moa with factory, I can do some damage with reloads.
Sounds reasonable??

Just something i tought might be checked if id spen te money on my ruger and found out after id been ****ed didnt no about other brands jus haveing thsis one powder coated andreplces stock and sell i to fund another stw if i had ordered it new about 2mths latter id never had a 7remmag. i seen. the 7stw but didn want 2 different 7 s go my rirst one last year and now want anoher. one i like it almost better than my 243 and id be buried. with it but m son says he burn me and keep the un anyways

seen a sign when i was in high school that said the one who dies with the most toys wins i think. it ment guns and i have a lot of catching up to do now that i dont have child suport anymore

Muliehunter, IF that rifle is a seven mag Sendero, and has been rechambered to STW, the magazine WILL feed the rounds to the chamber just fine. If you rechamber a seven mag to seven RUM, you have to change the box, and open the frame rails, due to the wider width of the UM case.
My first semi custom that I built years ago, was a LSS, in seven mag. I screwed a #5 Hart barrel into it, chambered to STW, no problems with feeding at all.
I have heard of a few rechambers that do require feeding modifications, and Rugers are in that group. One of the most successful re chambers, was on a Browning Stainless Stalker. My friends rifle had a 26 inch barrel, that shot somewhat ok before the rechamber. It shot like a dream afterwards, because the new cartridge length put the neck in a very good portion of the rifling. That thing STILL shoots like a dream. I'm not sure if he had to modify the rails, or ramp, but I think he didn't have to do anything.
What calibers did the go from/to? I have an A-Bolt II I have been wanting to rebarrel, but have been thinking for ease, money, and convenience just keep it a 7mm RM...

has any one had anything. to do wih hoque stocks. and dua coatany imput would be helpfull
I had a Hogue Overmold stock on my 10/22 and it was great. I have been using hogue grips on pistols for years and years with no issues.

I think for a long-range hunting rifle you'd be happier with atleast a B&C Medalist or H.S Precision Pro-Series 2000 stock....Something with an aluminum bed block in it for accuracy.

Recent Posts