7mm SAUM Build 2nd thoughts - Move to a 7MM PRC?? Your expert opinions appreciated...

you are not just necking down the brass, you need to push the shoulder back over a 1/4" and that cannot be done with one die. you will have to use at least 4 dies to reduce the body diameter 375, 338, 300, and finally 7mm then trim, neck turn, anneal.
if you really want one wait until brass becomes available
Ah, gotcha. Yes, tons of work...I have a Dillon 550 press and all dies (except 7 PRC of course)...do you think possible to do it on a progressive press with a die per station to move the shoulder back and taper with final neck sizing on coax?

Ah, gotcha. Yes, tons of work...I have a Dillon 550 press and all dies (except 7 PRC of course)...do you think possible to do it on a progressive press with a die per station to move the shoulder back and taper with final neck sizing on coax?
definitely possible. IMO if you think the juice is worth the squeeze to go 7PRC over 7SAUM and you already have a long action just save yourself all the headache and go 7-300 PRC and never look back

The promise of 7prc components seems like a desert mirage to me.

I haven't found anything about it that would motivate me to add the new prc to my 280ai, 7rm and 7wsm. On the other hand, I would love to own a 7saum, but not without components.

Personally, I would acquire ammunition and components before I buy or commission a new build.

I have a 27" .284 Bartlein Carbon Wrapped, 1: 8-7.25 gain twist barrel (blank) that was intended for becoming a SAUM as I wanted the neck length advantage of the SAUM casing, but given the EXTRAORDINARY difficulty in finding brass, I am now contemplating a switch to a 7mm PRC as .02 sacrifice in neck length is likely worth the ridiculous issues with locating brass...surely the 7 PRC will have PLENTY of options for brass in the near future.
What are others' thoughts in making the switch from SAUM to PRC?
Other than a SA to a LA configuration (quite frankly the SA for the SAUM with highest BC bullets was basically ruled out given the OAL limitation for mag-based application, as well as powder constraints due to deep bullet seating depth to fit the SA mags).

Oh. It had 'Add to Cart' but they are out of stock.

Last edited:
i do all my case forming on a single stage O style press it takes a lot more force than simple resizing. have not used a Dillon but most turret style have too much flex for forming but if that is what you got give it a try. I will be interested in your results

I have a 27" .284 Bartlein Carbon Wrapped, 1: 8-7.25 gain twist barrel (blank) that was intended for becoming a SAUM as I wanted the neck length advantage of the SAUM casing, but given the EXTRAORDINARY difficulty in finding brass, I am now contemplating a switch to a 7mm PRC as .02 sacrifice in neck length is likely worth the ridiculous issues with locating brass...surely the 7 PRC will have PLENTY of options for brass in the near future.
Other than a SA to a LA configuration (quite frankly the SA for the SAUM with highest BC bullets was basically ruled out given the OAL limitation for mag-based application, as well as powder constraints due to deep bullet seating depth to fit the SA mags).
If your reason is the availability of brass, make sure you'll not end up with the same problem with your switch.

I dont think it really matters one bit if you build a long or medium action instead of a short, unless your after ultra lightweight or maybe certain highly competitive shooting. Its a couple ounces. If you want a saum to perform especiallyif you want to shoot heavier bullets, I would build a 7mm sherman max. You can buy stamped 7mm max adg brass or shoot saum as you fireform.. A blaser improved is what I have and it's basically identical to this 7prc and the 7max.

I dont think it really matters one bit if you build a long or medium action instead of a short, unless your after ultra lightweight or maybe certain highly competitive shooting. Its a couple ounces. If you want a saum to perform especiallyif you want to shoot heavier bullets, I would build a 7mm sherman max. You can buy stamped 7mm max adg brass or shoot saum as you fireform.. A blaser improved is what I have and it's basically identical to this 7prc and the 7max.
How would a 28 Nosler fit in to the mix?

if you want a 7mm PRC you should build it. I have a 300PRC and I love it!

I personally don't see any benefit going with the 7 prc if you're a handloader, I've heard it may work in a Tikka length action but until that's verified there's no appeal to me.

If you're set on necking down, and have 300 prc brass around why not get a set of FL bushing dies and make a 7-300 prc?
You'd have your lapua brass and get the performance that actually improves upon the ballistics of a saum or 7 RM.
I'll bet barrel life would actually be better as well considering you could ***** foot it along with H1000 and still smoke us guys rodding the crap out of our shortmags with RL26
Great Advice IMHO

How would a 28 Nosler fit in to the mix?
A 28 nosler is not a prc/blaser/sherman class, it is quite a bit more. Significantly more powder, recoil, and reduced barrel life. I'm personally not going to shoot big game beyond 1k yards. At those ranges, deer and elk are just as dead from my blaser as a 28 nosler and anyone could go out and enjoyably and accurately shoot 100 rounds if they wanted to in a single session. I think the prc/blaser/sherman is the best balance of performance in a modern "stock" 7mm class. A 28 nosler is in a "modified" class imho.

Just something else to consider/ follow to see how it works — 7mm-6.5 PRC

Many thanks Justice1327 for sharing the video...was not aware of F-Class John...he's sure deeply invested in top of the line equipment and seems like a pretty matter-of-fact guy!
I like the concept of a simple neck-up design...but I get why they/Hornady chose to change the crtg design for SAAMI to reduce possibility of chambering the wrong round/larger diameter bullet in 6.5mm barrel. I've seen some impressive images of 300 blackouts getting chambered into 5.56 chambers...heack of a barrel slug results and catastrophic failures to uppers.
Only thing I am thinking of is adding up ($$$$) all the custom-made dies and Reamer to get to the preferred neck-up design. Would be great to rent John's "freind's" reamer ;-) Other than the cost - would be sweet!

Recent Posts