7mm Remington in 15" barrel

7ultra

7mm Remington in 15\" barrel

Just wondering how you guys think a 7mm Mag would perform in a Encore barrel. I'm talking velocity, accuracy and recoil*(with a break of course). Would it be more advantageous to go with a cartridge like; a 280, 280 Improved or 284? I already load for the 7 Mag, but given the short nature of the Pistol barrel, would one of the standard 7mm's actually outperform the Remington? Or does more powder still egual more velocity in this application?
Thanks for the help.

Re: 7mm Remington in 15\" barrel

A customer at my former place of work had this exact setup. I remember thinking that the velocities he was talking about werent that much over my 7mm08 carbine data (16"barrel). Shooting next to that thing was not fun. Looked like a nuclear bomb going off everytime he set one off. Im talking 3ft ball of flame, 5ft long. He was the kind that really liked the booming stuff though. I know it would shoot, he and a coworker had a little challenge, who could do more pennies in a row at 100yds. 7mm vs 17hmr.

7ultra,
a 7mm Rem.Mag. in a Encore is an absolute waste, I had an Encore in .223rem with a super 16"barrel and I now own a xp-100 with a 15"barrel in 22-250 (they shoot exactly the same velocity ,only the 22-250 burns twice the powder has twice the muzzle blast and is not as accurate) if you want to shoot a Thompson in 7mm Cal. a 7-30 waters is not that far from a 7mm Rem MAG in a 15-16" barrel but muzzle blast is a huge difference. in a pistol length barrel HUGE capacity means NOTHING.,try mabey a 7mm-08

In a 15 inch the 284 will have from a 150-200 fps advantage over the 7mm-08. I have had both in SP's and both were highly accurate.
Concerning the 7mmRM it all depends on what you are trying to achieve. Depending on game and distance the 284 will likely do all you need.
I have a 7.82 Patriot (Lazz case Short Action 30 caliber) in a 15.75 inch light weight sporter XP that pushes a 180 SGK's grain @ 2775 and will shoot 5-shots into .4 @ a 100 and really shines at longer distances.
Since you are shooting a break action I would suggest a 280 Rem Imp. as the best 7mm performance you could get IMO. The reduced body taper will lessen backthrust on the action and it will not flex as much since the case head is smaller the the 7RM case.
I disagree with the thought that the 7mmRM is not far from the 7x30 Waters in 15-16 inch barrels, especially 16 inches.
I'm not intending to flame but stating my conviction. A 7-08 will out run the Waters by a good 100-150 fps and FWIW the 7mmBR in a XP will outrun the Waters in a Contender of same length barrels. My light loaded 7-08 pushed a 140 NBT @ 2550 and my 284 pushes the same bullet at 2750.

Thanks for all the replies so far. XPhunter, what are your experiences with the 284 winchester in a 15inch barrel? What kind of powder/bullet combo are you pushing and how does it shoot? The 280 Ackley Improved (40 degree) is what I believe is offered, and I am leaning toward picking that one up. Another option would be to pick up 6.5-284 barrel. If the 284 can fair well in a short barrel, I think this cartridge would do just as good?

My 284 Win XP is a 15.5 inch Shilen with a tight-neck chamber that I have had for 15 years. I have taken everything from PD's to bull elk with it. The load I have used since I first did load development is 59.0 H-4831 with a 140 NBT (partition for elk), winchester brass, and Fed Match primers. It is throated so that the base of the 140 NBT is at the neck shoulder juncture when lands are engaged.
My best group on steel @ 1k was 10 inches (not a match).
I also have a 6.5-284 in a XP (17 inch, tight-neck Krieger 8 twist) and have used it for hunting, The International Tactical Rifleman's Championship and for a 1k competition in Pella, IA. I have used Lapua brass, Fed Match primers, 140 AMax with H-4350 so far for everything, but will redo load development with 4831, and try some other bullets for a longer range goal this year. My hunting buddy Steve (sscoyote) has an older 9 twist Shilen 6.5-284 that pushes the 140 Amax just under 2750 in a 16 inch barrel.

If I did the 284 all over a gain I would likely set one up for the 162 A-Max if LR deer/antelope was a goal and the Nosler Accubond would surely work good for elk.
If Elk wasn't in the picture I would lean toward the 6.5-284, although Steve took a cow elk with his this year.
I don't own a centerfire rifle. Specialty handguns are my little niche.
FWIW Steve and myself (and another handgun nut) are putting on a small handgun hunting / shooting clinic (practical field shooting & some LR thrown in) for specialty handguns this May 26-28 just outside of Pueblo, Colorado. We are limiting it to 12 participants to make sure everyone gets a lot of shooting (Steel targets at unknown distances from field rests).
Hope this info helps you.
I have never had the 280 Rem or the 280 Rem Imp chambered, so I have no experience with it.

old bear concures on this one.I have 7-30 Waters on a 16" contender,140's in the mid 20's the recoil is not bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.