7mm Rem Mag on coyotes

Thats upsetting!!
That's reality.....something the anti-hunters/anti-trappers know nothing about. Nature is a brutal place. It's kind of funny though, being eaten alive by coyotes or wolves, is OK.....that's natural. "The balance of Nature" and all that BS.... Yet us hunters and trappers are evil monsters that have to be stopped. Hard to understand the mind of a liberal....

That's reality.....something the anti-hunters/anti-trappers know nothing about. Nature is a brutal place. It's kind of funny though, being eaten alive by coyotes or wolves, is OK.....that's natural. "The balance of Nature" and all that BS.... Yet us hunters and trappers are evil monsters that have to be stopped. Hard to understand the mind of a liberal....
I couldn't agree more

Has anyone tried match grade hollowpoints? I have a box of 7mm/140 grain I was thinking of trying. (7mm Rem Mag) I do want to save the furs, but we have wolves here too and I want to be ready if they show up.
I shot a yote in Feburary with a 6.5cm, 140gr otm bullet. Shot it at about 50y, and I thought I had missed. It was snowing, so I could easily track it. I center punched it. It ran about 400y without dropping a single drop of blood. It made it about 550y and died trying to cross a deep ditch. If the ground hadn't been covered in snow, I would have never found it. It penciled in and out. That was the last of those for me..

I shot a yote in Feburary with a 6.5cm, 140gr otm bullet. Shot it at about 50y, and I thought I had missed. It was snowing, so I could easily track it. I center punched it. It ran about 400y without dropping a single drop of blood. It made it about 550y and died trying to cross a deep ditch. If the ground hadn't been covered in snow, I would have never found it. It penciled in and out. That was the last of those for me..
Was it a berger?

Wow. I would have thought it would do more. What type of bullet? I have some match grade 7mm Rem Mag 150 grain hollow point bullets I was thinking of trying. They might just poke a hole and run off.....

I have shot coyote with a 22-250 55 grain spire point at close range and had the bullet just pass through not opening up . Too close and too fast to do a good job .

Wow. I would have thought it would do more. What type of bullet? I have some match grade 7mm Rem Mag 150 grain hollow point bullets I was thinking of trying. They might just poke a hole and run off.....
This stuff right here. I bought it to shoot at paper, but I figured it would kill a coyote well enough. I'm sure if I had smacked some bone, it would have gone differently, but it was enough to keep me from carrying them back to the field again.

I have shot coyote with a 22-250 55 grain spire point at close range and had the bullet just pass through not opening up . Too close and too fast to do a good job .
True, but I have had a 223 blow holes as big as a football in 'em too. Other times, it's hard to find a hole.

This stuff right here. I bought it to shoot at paper, but I figured it would kill a coyote well enough. I'm sure if I had smacked some bone, it would have gone differently, but it was enough to keep me from carrying them back to the field again.

That looks like the same bullet I have, only mine is 7mm. Boat tail, with a small hollow point. I have heard you should never use "match grade" bullets for hunting. They aren't designed to expand......Ok, so as a fur rifle, I really don't want a lot of expantion, because I want the pelt, but I don't want them running off and dying never to be found either. When you skin out a coyote or a wolf, chest cavity is only 5-7 inches thick anyway, so it seems like it would work fine to not expand, but you do need tracking blood if they run very far. I have only trapped 1 wolf, and never had a shot at one. Everyone tells me not to use a centerfire 22, but go with a deer rifle instead. Shots tend to be long and any of the centerfire 22's are more affected by wind drift. A friend has shot 5-6 wolves now with a 300 Ultra Mag at 600-1,020 yards. I was surprised to see the worse exit hole was only about the size of a tennis ball.

Shot plenty with 160 accubonds. I was surprised at the lack of fur damage. bullets started at 3000 and most shots were 200-400 yards.

I've been really happy with the barnes ttsx coppers on coyotes. They seem to drop like a rock with a quarter sized exit. I'm still waiting to try the nosler varmageddon ammo on a few from my .223, but I haven't had much time to hunt in the last few months, and the times that I have carried them, I couldn't get a shot. Also, Geoff Nemnich has killed a pile of them with 50gr v-max, and I've never seen an exit hole. That really seems ideal for the couple of months of the year when fur is worth messing with. For most of the year I'd rather cut them in half and kill them drt, because they aren't worth skinning. In those instances, the .30 110gr ttsx seems to offer a good combination of lethality mild recoil. The handful I've killed this year with a 108gr eld-m from my 6mm arc fold like a lawn chair, but when you hit the shoulder, they make a mess. I'm hoping to load up some 75gr v-max in that 6mm arc for what I hope to be a good combo..

If you stop and think about it there are so many variables in how bullets will react . Air density ,air temp. , the alloying of the jacket metal , the alloying of the bullet core , the design of the bullets tip and base , the amount of fluid in the animal , is it well fed does it have a full belly or is it skinny with little fat or water in it's tissues . I may shoot a coyote today that hasn't eaten in a while so my bullet just pass's through but latter in the week I shoot a coyote that has just eaten it's fill so now my bullet explodes and make a mess out of this one . The people that manufacture the bullets know far more about what they are designed to be used for then I will even think about knowing . You can look at some 224 bullets as an example the 52 , 53 , and 55 grain hollow point bullets made by sierra for example they are all hollow points but the hole in the tip isn't the same diameter or the same depth and is designed for differing uses . The ojive isn't the same shape either . The base isn't either the 52, and 53 have flat bases while the 55 has a boat tail these give the bullet differing flight dynamics as well the jacket metal isn't the same alloy in them either being designed to be used for different types of shooting . The 52 and 53 grain bullets are designed to hold together and be shot at paper targets while the 55 grain is designed to be used for hunting so the jacket is made of an alloy that is designed to open up as is the core metal . Some bullets have slight scoring on the tips also to help in the expansion and fragmenting of the jacket and core . We have some 224 , 55 grain bullets that have full metal jackets that are designed not to open up but to penetrate and tumble on impact with the human body for military use . Some that have spire points that are designed to open up and mushroom causing a large but not explosive wound channel . And they are designed for differing amounts of penetration Some are designed to only penetrate a small amount and nearly explode , while some are designed to penetrate several inch's mushroom and cause massive tissue damage to larger animals . Still others are designed not to open up and go through an animal not causing much more then just the wound channel . The manufacture of the bullets and people like Brian Litz or Alex Wheeler who study bullets far more then most of us ever will have any desire to can tell us way more about what bullets in what caliber will do the best for our applications . Yes we all use bullets that weren't designed to do what we ask of them and for the most part we get by just fine with them .