7mm Rem mag 168 gr berger velocity?

Carman2012

Hello, been reading this forum for quite awhile but except for a post in the intros this is my first post so hopefully its not to long. I have been reloading and hunting with the 7 mag for 25 yrs and my load that I used for most of those yrs was a 140 grain sierra gameking running at 3150. That load was deadly and accurate and killed a truckload of deer and hogs with it anywhere from 40 yards out to 300 yards. Most were DRT kills but the ones that were not would be found within 50 yards with good blood to follow. Fast forward to 4 yrs ago due to job changes I had to move and met a good friend that is into reloading and shooting and hunting and he has a range of steel targets all the way out to 700 yards on his farm. Let me say I grew up with the old set your scope 1 1/2" high at 100 theory and served me well for yrs but was very humbling once I got to shoot past 300 learned alot that 1st time there. Anyhow he also introduced me to berger bullets and I have been hooked on them because they are so accurate. I am only running them at 2700 and thought about stepping them up but as accurate as the load is shooting from 100 to 700 and since most of my shots at deer are within 150 yards I figured I would just save powder and leave them just like they are. Had pretty good results the first yr I used them on a couple of deer and pigs but last yr they really disappointed me with lack of blood to follow and pinhole exit wounds I said I would never hunt with a berger again gonna use them on steel only. After reading on here about how the tips are closed up sometimes and making sure they are open I think I may have found my problem. Checked the tips on a partial box i have left and a new box as well and found most need the tips cleaned out and opened up. Now that I know that i am going to try them again this season. But do you guys think I should ramp up the velocity some more? I keep thinking the reason the 140s I used to shoot might of killed them on the spot most of the time was because the velocity was higher and created more hydrostatic shock. I have racked my brain about this and really need some opinions. I dont mind if a animal runs a little bit but if he does I want it to leave something to follow because lots of clear cuts around where we hunt and you can lose one in there quick.My buddy shoots 185s in his 300 win mag and they leave exits you can put your fist in. I would just say forget it and go back to my sierras for hunting but we have a feeder set up at 650 yards at back of buddys pasture to shoot pigs under and I like the better ballistic coefficiency of the bergers. Sorry about the long post but yalls opinions will be appreciated. I am going to make sure all the tips are opened up on ones that I load to hunt with but should I leave the velocity alone are step it on up? Also if anyone has any good data for the 168 and IMR 4350 you would like to share that would be appreciated as well. I am using 57 grains to get the 2700 and even though its really mild it is really accurate.

I don't shoot the 168 out of my 7RM but do shoot the 180 Bergers at 2900+ with H1000 and Retumbo, you should be able to get at least 2900 with your set up.
My friend has a 7WSM with a 24" barrel and is getting 2980 fps with 68grs of H4831SC and the 168 Berger.
I would work up to at least 61-62 grs with the IMR4350 and see what you get.

Thanks for the info. Thats what I was thinking maybe run them up to around 2900. Should be able to get that with the Imr 4350 pretty easy so thats what I am gonna try. I figured I was running them pretty slow.I have two 7 mags a rem 700 with 26" barrel and ruger m77 mkll with 24" barrel. Figure I might even be able to work up to around 3000 with the rem 700. I have quite a bit of the 4350 because thats what I have always used but been wanting to try some different powders like h1000, retumbo, and the new 7977 pretty soon.

It's not your normal powder choice but I get good results with berger 168's and 180's with US869. 2900fps with either bullet is pretty easy to get. Powder is cheap too. Max loads of IMR 4350 worked well for me as well especially with the 168's.

I use up to 80 grains of 869 in a long throated 7RM. I suggest you develop your own loads with standard safety measures and procedures.

Thanks I appreciate it. Always interested in different powders that I can use in case we have another big shortage like we did a few yrs ago. That was miserable and the main reason that I have been stocking up on 4350 a little at a time when I am able. Now time to start experimenting with some different powders.

My friends and I have had good results with Retumbo. The four rifles we loaded used the 168 classic hunter with 72-73 grs of powder for velocities averaging 3100 fps.

I would suggest you start at 69 gr and work up to see what your rifle likes.

I'll second trying the Retumbo. Used some w/ 160's last year and was around 3080. Backed it down to about 3015 and found good accuracy. Don't have my notes here to give load data. Bruce

Carman,
I have some great targets shot with imr4350 and 162gr Amax. My one 7rm barrel loves the stuff but the winchester brass did NOT. After a couple of loadings I've decided to drop it.

I would highly suggest imr7828 with 168s , it is easily available and usually looked over these days with all the newer powders coming to market.

And as previously noted H1000 will work if your barrel likes it.

Thanks for the advice. 7828 is actually a powder that I have been looking at pretty hard. I tried to find some 162 amax awhile but was never able to find any. Did pick up a couple hundred of the 162 sst I gonna try if it ever cools back down enough around here.

Last week I was talking to an IMR rep by email, he said that 7828 was developed specifically FOR the 7mm RM when it was being introduced in the mid '60s.

That's got to mean something good.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.