7mm Rem Mag 162g Eld X on close shots

Toni

Hi, I wonder if this bullet will have sufficient penetration without exploding in shots at close range (40-60yards) to wild boars? Especially in this magnum caliber, I know this is not the most suitable caliber nor bullet for hogs but I only have one rifle and I use it for everything.

Any experience will be welcome.

I've got no experience with the Eld X rounds.

I've used a 7mm on a number of hogs and have been very happy with the results. It is a powerful round that works well on dropping hogs, so don't feel bad for using it. I also use a 300WM on hogs and I'm very pleased it as well. I'm not sure there is an "ideal" hog round since there are several that will work well.

Just about any 7mm round will do well on hogs with proper shot placement. I bought a bunch of Rem Core Lokts a while back and they work very will in close range shots.

They should work just fine. The weight of the bullet itself should do. Many hogs have been taken with the vmax and that has a thin jacket so I would say the eld should work fine

Hi, I wonder if this bullet will have sufficient penetration without exploding in shots at close range (40-60yards) to wild boars? Especially in this magnum caliber, I know this is not the most suitable caliber nor bullet for hogs but I only have one rifle and I use it for everything.

Any experience will be welcome.
Put it just behind and below the ear from the side or just below a horizontal line below their eyes if they are facing you and it's more than enough bullet.

I shot a nice boar last night with the little Ruger FTW .260 Rem with a 130gr Swift Sirocco II. Perfect entry and about a half inch exit wound just behind his right ear; or what was left of it.

Shoot for the brain and spine rather than trying to punch the shoulders because if you don't interrupt the CNS no matter what you are shooting the big hogs tend not to go down easily and sometimes can run a long way and/or do a lot of damage when you walk up on them wounded.

Thanks for the replies.
Sometimes I can not put the bullet where I want (running shots) and many times I can only shoot them close to impenetrable underbrush where they get in while they have a gram of life.

Especially if it's a big wild boar you need a bullet capable of penetrating without completely disintegrating in the first few inches of the thick layer of fat and muscle.

I did not like what I've seen so far for close range, shoot an 162g Eldx at 100m to a few jerry cans to recover the bullet, and this is what I could recover:

20161202_120947_zpsomfjs3bb.jpg

The left bullet is an RWS Evo, shot at the same distance and the same jerrycans but expanded a lot more and retained more weight than the Eldx.
20161202_120222_zpsjnjkxcx3.jpg

Hope to try them soon with some hogs.

The very best bullet on the market that I've found for hogs hands down is the Peregrine VRG-4.

This is a bullet designed to fly well out to 600yds. It is solid copper with a nose cavity and a brass plunger that drives back on impact to ensure limited, controlled expansion.

I put one through the neck and shoulder of a 400lbs plus boar Sunday Night fired from my .260 and just over 300yds.

He was slightly quartering, maybe fifteen degrees off of a straight on head shot so I put the crosshairs on the crease between the neck and shoulder in line with the base of the ear to the shoulder and let it rip.

With total penetration of about 18" of dense muscle, bone (spine and shoulder blade) and dropped him literally like a rock.

He did wiggle for a few seconds but never took a step and was stone dead in well under a minute.

Here is what the ELD 140gr did to a white tail at 125 yards out of my 6.5 creedmore
It hit the rib on the on and off side along with transecting the entire spine. Didn't weigh the bullet found in off side hide mainly the lead core was found but it was devastating.
Pics are entrance, exit though not through skin, and body cavity

Attachments

• IMG_7844.jpg
    IMG_7844.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_7843.jpg
    IMG_7843.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_7842.jpg
    IMG_7842.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 269
Here is what the ELD 140gr did to a white tail at 125 yards out of my 6.5 creedmore
It hit the rib on the on and off side along with transecting the entire spine. Didn't weigh the bullet found in off side hide mainly the lead core was found but it was devastating.
Pics are entrance, exit though not through skin, and body cavity
Same problem here. I don't like the separation but they do get the job done.

If they would use the same bonding process with these as they do the Interbond it would be about as close to a perfect lead core bullet as we'll ever see.

Interbonds are back in production, they are starting to hit the shelves in factory ammo so hopefully before too long they'll be available as components again.

As well as the Perigrines are peforming for me though I may give up on lead core bullets altogether if the VLR's prove to give both the higher BC and same terminal performance. Hopefully I'll get to connect with a few of them before deer season closes or I run out of pigs. I just haven't had a chance to load any of them yet.

Finally had the opportunity to shoot a hog, shot him at 80 yards from above, impacting on the hump and the bullet exploded without penetrating enough to stop him, he ran into the dense woods leaving blood painted branches through where he passed and lost him. He was a really big boar, I know shot placement is key but if the bullet is able to open its way in, was not misdirected.

What I don't like is Hornady advertises these bullets as all range, but they aren't so good on close range as they are on longer ranges. I know this is not conclusive, but I have seen it so many times that it makes me suspect it will be. Maybe advancing the interlock ring and widening it a bit could help.

What muzzle speeds are you getting from the 162g Precision Hunter ammo out of a 24" barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.