Long shots on Hogs?

If you get far enough away you don't have to worry about camo. 479 and 520 yds. with a custom Dragonov. I wanted to put something in the freezer with a Russian Sniper rifle. 7.62 x 54R 6.5-20 x 44 illuminated Mildot Customized BP-02 mount, rail tig welded to receiver to support the heavy glass, Tapco G-2 trigger, EGW SpaceComp muzzle Brake 28-1/2" chrome-lined barrel, tilting Harris Bipod. I saw them, ranged them and layed down on the gravel road with the bipod. O.K. I know that's cheating, but my buddies with their bolt guns couldn't do it. http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad293/338ken/DragonovPigs.jpg

Heckuva setup, the rifle and the H.A.V...... A nice upgrade from a F.A.L. with iron sights and a '96 Honda 400 Foreman. It's ironic that I switched to a hvy barrel AR and later to my old match M1-A, and have never since killed as many hogs as I did with the F.A.L.

I always liked the Dragunov, but they got too expensive before I could get one.

Good hunting, Tom

Tom, if you ever get one, Privi Patisan ammo is the ticket. Aim Surplus sekks new 150 gr FMJ and 150 SP for around $12 for a box of 20 and you would have to work your tail off to hanndload any better. Out of a lead sled it will shoot 1/4-3/8 MOA if you don't get the barrel hot. It is a thinner profile than I usually like so after about 5 rounds the group will start to open until it cools back off. Some people call it a long range AK, but nit is a unique hunting rifle if you're a "Black Rifle" kind of guy. ken

Yeah, I like some black guns, but my favorite military rifle is the Garand. They can be made to shoot moa or less with the irons, ammo is plentiful, and they can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Thanks for the tip. I have used Privi Partisan ammo in several different calibers, and it was all good ammo! Good to know that the 7.62 x 54 is too.

Not likely I'll ever buy a Dragunov, but if I ever get a chance to trade for one, I'll do it.

Thanks, Tom

The Garand is the standard that military rifles should be judged by. I shot a custom DPMS AR-10 in the TSRA Mid-Range Rifle Championships in the FTR class in 2010 and it sure was fun watching the guys shooting in the Service Rifle Class and what they did with the Garands and M1-A's was amazing. Shooting 300-600 yds with peep sights was impressive. When we were at Camp Swift there was either a M-60 or a 240 on their range along with a 50. When they sat down on a burst with the 50 it was fun to just listen, but you could really tell the difference. Always glad to not be on the receiving end of that big brute. I always wanted to see how long of a shot I could make on a pig with a 338 or a 50 but just have not ever gotten around to it yet. The Dragonov was just easier to get done.

Longest with a rifle is just under 500yds, and longest with my 41mag is just over 100 and a bang flop. The fellow that was with me when I shot the long one with the revolver called me Wyatt Earp the rest of the weekend. LOL I have plenty inside the 200 - 400yd range. The most fun however, are those within 10yds or less with the revolvers.

Like most, I'll air one out within reason of the loads I'm shooting, nothing I would rather see hit the dirt than a feral hog.

longest for me is this one but plan on dropping one at 1250 then 1500 this year i hope
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycrB1QvMiSg]1000yrd hog.mpg - YouTube[/ame]

do Javes count
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxByowKxJ4]1000 yrd javelina - YouTube[/ame]

Jeff 300,

Three things I enjoyed in your hog video:

1. Awsome shot!! Very impressive!!!

2. Standing water and MUD! Wow!

3. Fat cow with a bull calf!!

The rifle is a 338 edge the Kirby built for me and the camera was a Panasonic 32x optical zoom with a 2X doubler for the hog video and a Panasonic 72X optical zoom with the same 2X doubler for the javi video.

We haven't seen any water r mud in a long time that's for sure. We sure need some rain.

Thanks for the nice replies

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts